Pocket: National Park chronometer

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Keith R..., Aug 31, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now I have asked previously in regards to this 14 size chrono. Most of my answers
    were, well not very high grade, in other words the cost to fix it may exceed it's value.
    Well, I certainly can't disagree with that. Something about this little watch just called
    me to grab it. It's been sitting around the house and the more I looked at it, the more
    I thought, hey I paid $52 for it. Let's say I can get it going for $250. Let's face it,
    if you look at the mid-grade English center seconds watches they can run retail as high
    as $600. So, I've rolled the dice in hopes I can come back and show a running little
    watch. It is pin set, and depress the crown to activate the seconds sweep hand, (I think
    that's how it works). What I like is it's thick crystal and is 3/4 inch thick weighing in at
    about 123 grams (approx, heavy for 14 size). Keith

I'll re-post when I get her going. National Park is made by Gallet of Switzerland, this one
    about 1898. Keith

103_7403 (800x600).jpg 103_7407 (800x600).jpg NP1 (800x600).jpg

2. Ron DeGenaro

Ron DeGenaro Registered User

Aug 22, 2013
    Retired
    Venetia PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've also paid more to have watches fixed than they were worth because I liked them. Good luck!

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like the one I bought at a farm yard sale. She wanted 50 cents. I paid her $2.00. By the time I replaced the parts, had the case chrome plated, reconditioned it, and refinished the dial, I was out of pocket close to $200.00! And I did the work myself! Love, of anything, is often irrational!

4. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed guys, thanks for helping me justify my passion. Keith

5. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The estimate from DP& Sons Watch Repair in Louisville came in at $250. This assumes he can
    get the parts. Keith

6. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dang, they're quick. So another road trip to go pick her up. Photos to follow. Keith

7. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I picked the watch and the watch maker wound it, then set the time. After about
    15 minutes it quit. I stopped to eat lunch, reset it, and returned home after witnessing
    it stop again. He had shown me the movement, but not for long. I got home, reset the
    watch and am timing it now. I would say it was over banked, as it now appears running
    in all positions. However, my confidence level is low, considering where DP&Sons have
    the regulation set all the way over to fast. He told me it may run slow by one or two
    minutes a day. Now the trouble with that is, over the course of time, I have no way to
    increase the regulation since it's already maxed out. The best I can make out of it
    is an occasional watch for a day, until I can find someone to poise and time the watch.
    This seems to be a recurring problem with the repair guys from the European sector,
    ticking appears first and the only thing a priority, as discovered out of New Hampshire
    for a B. Farrer verge and my Pitkin lever. I'm already on the hunt for someone capable
    of timing and poising English watches. The only success I've had this year was on the
    Josh Johnson out of NH in 2015 from the same watch guy. So in my European collection,
    my success still remains only with the Johnson, Champion watches and the CH Meylan
    Swiss lever set, (and note Champion & Meylan have not been in for service).

Keith

103_8054 (800x600).jpg 103_8060 (800x600).jpg

8. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Keith, if that is the way it was returned to you, do not allow them to EVER touch another watch.

9. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Keith R..., Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    179, I agree............I was being nice. I have since had a discussion with the owner who says
    send it back. I will ensure it is returned running and regulation at mid point with the chrono
    working. So this will be a log for all to learn. I will keep you guys informed. I believe he will
    make the watch right, his reviews tend to reflect that, at least for Rolex type watches.

I would like to say a few things that I have learned. Now this is a
    personal opinion:

I would not recommend buying, a non working European watch, if you do not work on them
    yourself.
    1. If you seek a European watch maker, make sure the price rendered for services includes
    timing in all positions.

2. Define the terms of their warranty up front.

3. Make sure they run the watch in different positions for days before shipping, (he says he
    ran it for 10 days after he had a machinist make a stem for it). One can see the time line
    in this post.

4. If they tell you it will lose 1 to 2 minutes a day because it's an old watch.............do not
    accept that answer.

5. I do not tend to have these problems with American watches. I have had three European
    watch makers and had problems with everyone of them. My first one in Pittsburg, (Charles
    Stone verge, I sent it back to him 3 times, the watch ran better before I sent it to him). It
    still to this day, only runs on it's back. The second one asked me to send the verge and the
    lever back, but in the same breath that he may have missed something in the repair process,
    but poising a watch is expensive and he'd see what he could do, (I'm still in the decision
    phase on this one, I'd rather not strand two watches I've invested in, if the claim is for more
    money).

BTW, the watch had quit running altogether 2 hours ago.

Keith