musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I propose that our American Pocket Watch Forum creates a National Railroad Pocket Watch
Day that would be on April 18th every year. This could give the people who are
interested in Collecting Railroad Standard Watches or already own them
a little more exposure. We could all wear one that day every year(or not )
and create a tradition that hopefully can extend out to the watch world. The more that people see
the day as a positive and know about it the more exposure these watches will get.
I know we don't need a reason to like these Railroad Watches watches but it seemed like an
interesting idea. I did a search for it and they don't have their own day.

Rob

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
It should be April 18th sorry for the typo.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Last edited:

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Not a bad idea.

But just some info on the Kipton wreck. Ian Bartkey (sp?) convincingly demonstrated a number of years ago that it wasn't caused by a faulty timekeeper. Most of what is "known" about this wreck was related years and years after the fact by Webb C. Ball. And he was probably just telling a good "story" for his own purposes.

Robert Sweet

Apr 29, 2004
Country
It should be April 18th sorry for the typo.

Rob
Rob,

Sounds like a good date. According to many sources the Kipton wreck, right or wrong, put Watch Inspections in high gear (there were inspections in place prior to this wreck). Webb C. Ball became a General Watch Inspector over many miles of Railroads and selling Ball Standard Watches at the same time. Ball was listed as a watch manufacturer, but to my knowledge he never designed and manufactured a complete mechanical Railroad Approved Watch from scratch. Please don't let my preceding statement begin a never ending debate.

Robert

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I believe an alternate date to celebrate would be November 18. On this day in 1883, the railroads all stopped at noon and switched over to 'Standard Railway Time'. Perhaps a more positive event to celebrate. Of course, I'm open to wearing a railroad watch on both days...

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Maybe we will celebrate both days. April 18th as stated above but
on November 18th we should have a Standard watch contest and anyone
can enter one or two watches for a 30 day challenge. Either ending
on November 18th or starting on that day. This will give people the time to dial in a few watches
before the end of the year for the November 18th 'Standard Railway Time' challenge

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Maybe by remembering a serious train wreck and honoring those Railway workers who
died on that day(who actually carried these watches as they were intended to be used for)
we also realize how important a tool the Railroad watch was to the Railway men
before and after this accident.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Maybe we could get people outside of our circle(outside this forum) and make an open
statement, "Post your Railroad watch in this XYZ thread for the world
to see". We could send emails to every train related website and each do some promotion.
Since so many people are home maybe they would want to pull
out and photograph their RR watches.
Also if everyone here posts one RR watch in that thread maybe we can get new visitors(take some new clear photos).
The RR pocket watch is still the most Iconic of the American made pocket watches.
If someone can make a nice looking banner we could put it at the top of
the new thread. It needs to have the Date and this year 2020..... and look nice;)
Also it could be something we could send by email as a promotion.

Rob

Robert Sweet

Apr 29, 2004
Country
Robert,

Very interesting article. I wonder if Ian Bartky had seen this (in the pre-internet days). Did you find his old Bulletin article on Ball and the crash?

Greg
Greg,

I'm not familiar with this Bulletin Article, but will see if I have this bulletin or can locate one.

Thanks,
Robert

Radioclock

Dec 4, 2014
Country
Hello Rob,
this is a good Idea. I love the Railraoad Pocketwatches from the States. In Germany it is not easy to get one but I have several ones. I know one Train Engenieer that caries an Elgin BW Raymond 571 at work . I carry mine on Sundays. I hope for all of us that we stay healthy.

with best regards
Christoph Wingendorf

Leigh Callaway

Sep 5, 2011
Upper Valley, New Hampshire
Country
Region
Greg,

I'm not familiar with this Bulletin Article, but will see if I have this bulletin or can locate one.

Thanks,
Robert
At least three Bulletin articles:
- August 1997 Bulletin page 490 "Railroad Timekeeping - 1996 NAWCC Seminar, Rockford Illinois". Dr. Bartky was a speaker at the seminar
- June 1992 Bulletin page 259 "The Kipton Disaster and Webb C. Ball" by Robert Winslow
- October 1989 Bulletin page 399 "Railroad Timekeepers" by Ian R. Bartky

Railroad Day is a good idea, particularly to recognize the Nov 18, 1883 change to Railroad and Telegraph Time. Count me in.

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
At least three Bulletin articles:
- August 1997 Bulletin page 490 "Railroad Timekeeping - 1996 NAWCC Seminar, Rockford Illinois". Dr. Bartky was a speaker at the seminar
- June 1992 Bulletin page 259 "The Kipton Disaster and Webb C. Ball" by Robert Winslow
- October 1989 Bulletin page 399 "Railroad Timekeepers" by Ian R. Bartky

Railroad Day is a good idea, particularly to recognize the Nov 18, 1883 change to Railroad and Telegraph Time. Count me in.
Thank you for digging up the references.

Anyone who has any interest at all in RR watches and RR watch standards should read Ian Bartkey's NAWCC Bulletin article in Whole #262 pg. 399. If you are an NAWCC member you can easily access it online.

Greg

Reactions: musicguy

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Anyone who has any interest at all in RR watches and RR watch standards should read Ian Bartkey's NAWCC Bulletin article in Whole #262 pg. 399. If you are an NAWCC member you can easily access it online.
And if you want to read even more, you can usually find used copies of his books on standard time from online sellers. Very interesting reading.

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
And if you want to read even more, you can usually find used copies of his books on standard time from online sellers. Very interesting reading.
Ian Bartky was a professionally trained researcher. He did his homework. That's not to say he might never have made a mistake, but he was very careful about what he committed to paper. I was glad to have met him, if only briefly, many years ago.

Joseph Short

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2010
Framingham Mass.
Country
Region
Reading this thread, I think Rob had a great idea. Going outside of our circle of friends is a great idea. I bet that railroad enthusiasts everywhere would be interested. Perhaps we should locate and post on forums for those groups? We could post a link to our website. But I think it would work better on the November date. It could be expanded and called "National Railroad Time Day". That includes the clocks and everything involved in maintaining the time accurately for the railroads. It’s also generic enough to include more people.

Reactions: Leigh Callaway

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Today is April 18th

Pull out your Railroad watches and post a photo (post one at a time)

EF9187EA-983B-468B-A99C-56458B21D00D.jpeg CB712C4D-5ED1-407B-B06D-1E81ED2FD26E.jpeg

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
1 plumb hands.jpeg

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Just a heads up because someone asked me....

Any Standard Watch is OK:)

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Very nice!

Rob

Reactions: viclip

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Certainly the definition of 'Standard' kept changing. Here is a private label Waltham 1870 model that is engraved with the name of a documented railroad man. The name engraved in the cartouche on the back is T. P. Clifford. A google search shows him to be an Engineer on the Boston, Concord and Montreal road. The private label is Elijah Knight of Concord, New Hampshire.

Waltham626049CaseBack.jpg Waltham626049CaseBackCU.jpg Waltham626049Dial.jpg Waltham626049Mvmt.jpg

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Maybe not RR grade, Elgin 349, 18 size, 21 jewels in nickel swing out case
Yes it is RR grade and a fine looking PW!

Rob

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
My 16-size Railroad Grade watch with Winding Indicator recently came back from the watchmaker's; cleaned, oiled & adjusted. It's a Model 1908 Waltham of grade "Crescent St." It's currently my daily carry ~
I like these RR watches with wind indicators, but I guess it was just a gimcrack that had its day in the sun and then was retired by watch manufacturers. The wind indicator never figured into guidelines issued by the railroads, did it?

IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller