Nathaniel Hamlin woodworks tall clock circa 1790+/-

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Jim DuBois, Sep 27, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Jim DuBois, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I am adding the following information on a wood works tall clock for 2 reasons; 1) While it has been finally identified and several folks have seen photos of it over the years, many have not. 2) Never give up the chase when investigating who what when why of our favorite avocations.

Somewhat over 40 years ago I purchased the clock in the photos from an Indiana antiques dealer by the name of Dick Robeson, He had acquired the clock from an old Indianapolis clock repair person, who ran a clock repair shop in Indy for 50 years, by the name of Brown. According to the family history the clock had been in Indiana for more than 100 years.

The movement of the clock being a wood works, combined with an iron dial, was of an unknown maker. Over the years the clock was featured in the Cog Counters Journal, it was cussed and discussed with Ward Francillon, as well as shown to every wood works clock person I could chase down, It is a very large movement, plates measuring 12" tall and 10+" wide. It also uses a seat board that is retained by mortise and tenon joints extending completely though the seat board, and pinned under the seat board. It has a tin fan and has 5 posts to mate the plates front and back.

When the clock was first acquired I assumed the dial was a latter addition to the movement, but subsequent investigation suggests it has always been on the movement. The dial is a perfect fit to the hood and surround, careful removal of the wood strips from the dial shows proper aging of all the wood parts and or proper lack of aging under the wood strips….the bell stand and hammer are both improper replacements, but the weights, pendulum, dial, movement, hands, and case all appear original to each other.

Now, to the point, Phillip Morris has clearly identified the maker of this clock in his book "American Wooden Movement Tall Clocks 1712-1835" as being built by Nathaniel Hamlin, Augusta and Oxford Maine, somewhat after 1780. A very similar case can be seen on page 115, as well as the very similar movements of 2 of his signed clocks. So, finally the search is over…….

IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0938.jpg IMG_0941.jpg IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0944.jpg IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0947.jpg IMG_0948.jpg IMG_0949.jpg IMG_1432.jpg

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #2 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    How absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

RM