• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Napoleons Hat Westminster Chimes to put into beat

Kieran Pern

Aug 22, 2020
UK
Country
Never done this before. I took it to bits to change a main spring but don't know how to put it back so it chimes and sings. Are there any idiots guides or Youtubes you would recommend please? I don't even know the make as it only has a number but the case is impressive. I think the movement has been in the wars as I can see several silver welding marks on the cogs but it works very well. I just don't have the knowledge when it comes to setting the chimes and quarter-hour noises! I've got as far as stripping the old stain off so it is bare at the moment. Pictures below:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
That movement is well beyond the capabilities of a novice.
It will be nearly impossible to service properly using a book.
If your intent was to clean the movement without disassembly, you have already failed.
Many U Tube videos are put out by people with equal or much less experience than you have.
In addition, this board is populated by all levels of clock repair people.
You may get some bad advice along with some good.
Be certain you let the tension off of the main springs before you attempt any repair.
The main springs pack a lot of energy and improper methods can/will be dangerous to you while doing serious damage to the movement.
Best,
Dick

Reactions: wow

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
'Fraid that I must agree with Dick on all counts :eek:
It took me ten years in the 1960's to service a three-train clock and I had a plethora of good books.

Kieran Pern

Aug 22, 2020
UK
Country
That movement is well beyond the capabilities of a novice.
It will be nearly impossible to service properly using a book.
If your intent was to clean the movement without disassembly, you have already failed.
Many U Tube videos are put out by people with equal or much less experience than you have.
In addition, this board is populated by all levels of clock repair people.
You may get some bad advice along with some good.
Be certain you let the tension off of the main springs before you attempt any repair.
The main springs pack a lot of energy and improper methods can/will be dangerous to you while doing serious damage to the movement.
Best,
Dick
I think you're probably right. I can put it back together, releasing springs etc but I don't have the knowledge of how to arrange the striking parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent