Namdor Non-Magnetic Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by pwrudy, Feb 26, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear J.,
    being located in Germany, I could consult Pritchard a little earlier, but I did not find any entries on 'Namdor'. Spell it backwards, you end up at 'Rodman' who was a watch importer, located in New York, active in 1955 (could have started earlier!) - Harry Rodman Inc.
    I would not at all be sure that this is the guy who imported your watch to the U.S.
    It is clearly a swiss made dress watch, late 1910s to early 1920s, hour hand replaced and with 6 jewels on the cheaper side. It should look spectacular (the swiss were marketing geniusses!) and with that inscription 'chronometre' or 'non magnetic' (if I read it correctly) below the model name it should give the impression of extra accuracy.
    To say more about the movement, please snd a picture.
    Have fun with your watch!
    Rudolf

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    J

Larry Jones has written up a useful article on Image Posting, which may be helpful. If you have a problem posting the picture, you can attach it to an e-mail to (by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post) and I'll post it for you.

Kent

That guy down in Georgia :)

3. cogito

cogito Guest

I don't know if it helps or not, but I sold a late 30s Mido date window tank wrist watch a couple of months ago and it had a Namdor dial. I was told that the Namdor name was referencing a US distributor of Mido watches during the 30s, so this fits with the earlier suggestion of a reversal of the Namdor name. It might be helpful to compare your watch to a Mido for similarities in the movement.

Regards,
    Jeff B.