Nail (or screw) positioned below pendulum doors. Why?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NEW65, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chaps - I do not understand why the majority of long case clocks have a nail protruding on the inside of the front section of the cases, just below the pendulum doors?? I have often wondered why?! Can someone tell me the idea behind this? I recall one of my clocks needing rewinding once and because the weights were of large diameter and below the level of this nail, the centre weight got scraped on this nail! Does it serve a purpose?

2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps to hang the key so it doesn't get lost? Seems it should be to the side and out of the way, but....

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    not sure about 'the majority' but would assume for winding keys.

when i get or work on a tall case clock, i make sure that if there is something for holding the winding key it doesn't interfere with anything else.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes, though I normally see them in the side. If you mean just above the case door on the inside this is the pivot for the turnbuckle that secured the hood door.

5. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Pat/Bruce, seems to make sense but these nails are found in weight driven (on chains) floor clocks?

6. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 NEW65, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Thanks Novicetimekeeper... I have never seen one positioned above the pendulum door - all have been on the front of inside of cabinet below the pendulum doors (not to one side but in the middle?)
    I have removed these because sometimes the centre weight is too close when rewinding..
    I only work on used reproduction floor clocks that are no more than 40 years of age so unable to comment on the antique clocks..

7. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    A nail on the inside of the clock just under the front of the door on the front inside the case. Usually is to secure the cables or the chains in transport to keep tension on them.

NEW65 likes this.
  8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. I suppose it could also serve as a pendulum reference for setting beat. People were very inventive back in the day.

NEW65 likes this.