Nagoya Shoji - Info?

RickH8255

Jun 10, 2021
Country
I just found this forum, and group. I have one of these clocks also. It was handed down to me by my father about 40 or so years ago, and he had it for as long as I can remember, probably from at least the late 50's. It has been just a super clock, keeping good time and running constantly since the day I received it. However, about 2 weeks ago, I was winding it when "BOOM". I carefully opened the face, and found the time mainspring had sprung, blowing the works off the back, the spring completely unwound. I carefully removed the works from the case and found the ratchet spring had been completely bent out of shape and off the gear. The main spring appears OK, but when I test even a small winding, it does not "catch" but unwinds. I did manage to fix and replace the ratchet spring, but it still fails to hold when winding, so I assume something else actually broken. So, not being a clock repair guy (I do hobby repairing and refinishing antique furniture), I was hoping to find some knowledge here to either help me, or point me to someone that could assist fixing this sentimental item.

clock2.jpg clock1.jpeg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I just found this forum, and group. I have one of these clocks also. It was handed down to me by my father about 40 or so years ago, and he had it for as long as I can remember, probably from at least the late 50's. It has been just a super clock, keeping good time and running constantly since the day I received it. However, about 2 weeks ago, I was winding it when "BOOM". I carefully opened the face, and found the time mainspring had sprung, blowing the works off the back, the spring completely unwound. I carefully removed the works from the case and found the ratchet spring had been completely bent out of shape and off the gear. The main spring appears OK, but when I test even a small winding, it does not "catch" but unwinds. I did manage to fix and replace the ratchet spring, but it still fails to hold when winding, so I assume something else actually broken. So, not being a clock repair guy (I do hobby repairing and refinishing antique furniture), I was hoping to find some knowledge here to either help me, or point me to someone that could assist fixing this sentimental item.

View attachment 658359 View attachment 658360
Rick,

Welcome to the forum.

Your request may be better answered in the Repair forum.

To move your request to the repair forum, click on the REPORT function at the bottom of your post. This will go directly to a moderator and you can ask the moderator to move your post to the Repair forum. Only a moderator can move a post.

Please do NOT create another thread on the same subject, as this just causes confusion.

Regards.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

View attachment 658359 View attachment 658360
I have moved this to the Clock Repair forum.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Rick,

Yes, that ratchet has failed and your clock will need to be disassembled to effect a good repair.

It's probably best to take it to a reputable clock repair person. After 60+ years, I am sure it will need some other work also.

Your trouble could be caused from a material failure but more likely from poor winding habits ...

Welcome to the MB & good luck,. Willie X

Reactions: RickH8255

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It's possible that the spring broke on the inside loop too. Did you mean that the click is working again, but the spring is not winding?
Sometimes, if the inner loop sprung open when the click failed, you can get it to catch again with a screwdriver pushed against it as you wind. It's worth a try :)

RickH8255

Jun 10, 2021
Country
It's possible that the spring broke on the inside loop too. Did you mean that the click is working again, but the spring is not winding?
Sometimes, if the inner loop sprung open when the click failed, you can get it to catch again with a screwdriver pushed against it as you wind. It's worth a try :)
No, I can wind the spring back tight, but it will not hold if I release the key, even though the ratchet is set. Also, when I wind it, both the ratchet gear the main gear turn unless I hold the main gear. On the chime spring, only the ratchet gear turns when I wind. So I assume something inside the spring coil, or the arbor or main gear is broken allowing it to free wheel.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Sounds like the 1 or 2 arbor came loose from its moorings ...
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep, you'll have to tighten up a wheel. Watch to see which one is turning backward when you release the key. It's probably your main wheel. If you don't know how to stake it tight again, you could always get a donor movement.
Double check to make sure your click is engaged though. It isn't in your picture above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wileyhouse
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller