N Muller Patent No 50 or 150

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Dianne, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dianne

Dianne Registered User

Tuesday
    Country Flag:
    I bought a metal N. Muller clock last week and am looking for information. I was told it was iron and didn't work. The Patent No. is either 50 or 150 (if the later the "1" is almost worn off). It seems to have an Egyptian/Greek theme. Each side has a Grecian woman's head wearing a pharaoh's headdress. The face of the clock is paper. Apparently it had a decorative top which is now missing. It is missing a pendulum. There is some remaining paint (very faint) - bronze in some and gold in others (such as the headdress). The clock runs and chimes. A magnet doesn't stay, so maybe it's not iron? I appreciate any info people can provide.

Front N Muller Clock (2).jpg Side Clock (2).jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

We really need some more pictures, particularly of the movement, and pics which will enlarge (the two you have posted don't). You say the clock 'runs and chimes' (actually, it doesn't chime, it strikes) but I can't see the winding arbors on the front, so does it wind from the back? Without a pendulum, which you say is missing, it wouldn't be running properly, but at least it seems that it is somewhat in working order

Where did you find the patent number? I don't think that either 50 or 150 would be a patent, so please post a photo of what you have found.

If we can see the movement, we can say more about the missing pendulum (and other things).

The case does look like iron, but if a magnet won't stick, then I guess it isn't. Perhaps it's spelter.

Anyway, let us see more and I am sure you will find help forthcoming. I think that cleaned up and restored it could be a very nice clock.

JTD

3. Dianne

Dianne Registered User

Tuesday
    Country Flag:
    The winding arbors are in the front. I am using a lightweight substitute pendulum to test whether it works. I'm enclosing photos of the movement while inside and outside the clock case and the stamp on the clock case. I will get better close up photos and post them. I don't know how to make the photos able to be enlarged in this program, but I'll try. Thanks!

N Muller Clock Patent (2).jpg Clock Face Removed.jpg Clock inside.jpg

4. Dianne

Dianne Registered User

Tuesday
    Country Flag:
    Here are more photos taken on my cell phone that I hope will help.

2DD5F28C-52FB-4B7C-BFC0-BB4831E62828.jpeg 09A36DA2-1D77-4BAE-AACC-5FB2CF3F1891.jpeg DEC735DA-9D45-4C70-9C84-F00C1297C7C5.jpeg image.jpg

5. Dianne

Dianne Registered User

Tuesday
    Country Flag:
    The movement is stamped Gilbert Mfg Co. There is a number 4 stamped to the right of that name.

image.jpg

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I see the winding arbors now, hidden in the bezel. The number is not a patent number - it may be a model number. The word patent is just to tell us that something has been patented but the number is not stated.

So we have a Gilbert movement in a Müller case. I am not an expert in American clocks, but perhaps I would guess the date around 1880.

Others will surely know more. As I said earlier, I think it will look fine when restored.

JTD

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As JTD said, the number, which is 150, is one assigned by Muller and is a kind of casting or model number. Your case appears to be the basic design encompassed by Design Patent 4797, granted to Nicholas Muller on April 11, 1871. It seems to have come in different "versions." For example, your case has ornamental additions not shown in the patent drawing. Arlyn Rath's book on Nicholas Muller shows on page 171 the same basic case but different from yours and the patent drawing. Rath states on p. 170 that hers was offered in trade catalogues from 1874 to 1876. Nicholas Muller himself died in 1873.

USD4797 Egyptian.pdf

The movement in yours is very like one I have in a Gilbert round top. It carries a patent date of January 11, 1870, which was a design patent granted to George B. Owen for the frame of a clock movement. In any event, a date for your clock of the early to mid 1870's is not out of the question, perhaps even a bit later, since Nicholas Muller's wife and sons carried on his business for several years after his death.

Attached Files:

8. Dianne

Dianne Registered User

Tuesday
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, this is very helpful. I am looking forward to restoring it. Any idea of how the cases were painted (colors)? I’m not familiar with metal clocks.