Mystery weight (Howard)?

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
I know that someone more seasoned than I will recognize this weight. I bought it this morning just because it seemed so unusual and old and too good to pass up. Why the bottom is curved is beyond me. My hope is that one day it will make an incomplete clock complete - whether it's mine or someone lucky. Until then, it's a mystery what that clock is. Maybe someone out there would know on sight. Thanks as always to all those who troll the forums, gladly offering their experience and knowledge. Perhaps I can do more of that as well. Thank you again. Dave

IMG_9190.jpg IMG_9192.jpg

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Thanks! This is what's strange -- I thought so too -- a #11 keyhole, but I do see reference to a weight that looks more like this for that clock. Could they have used two different types?

download.jpg

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Well,there were several companies that produced these keyhole clocks, including Posey, Howard, Seth Thomas, and New Haven, just for a start. Any one of them could have used the weight you pictured. Here is another weight out of also a Howard 11. I have had at least one keyhole clock that was unsigned but was thought to be a "Attleboro" clock much like the Posey clock. While there are a number of E . Howard clock weights that are well identified and usually used in the clocks bearing the number cast in the weight, there are substitutions that may have happened later or may have been a day at the factory where the "right" weight was out of stock, so something else was used? The E . Howard keyholes were produced for a very long time,perhaps nearly 80-100 years so running changes could have also happened. This weight came out of a 20th century keyhole, circa 1920-1940.

8444_G.JPG

Last edited:

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Wow -- Jim -- fascinating -- I didn't know Howard could be anything but standardization --- but I believe you -- and I believe this could be an 11 -- reason I say that is because when I bought a repro weight for my 11, it didn't clear very well in the column (which could have been shrinkage), but it seemed a little wide for the chamber -- maybe that's when these were used? What fun. I'm sure some place out there, there's a keyhole without an original weight, including mine -- I may re-think the repro after all! Thanks for all your help. I will weigh this guy and see whether it's more possible than I thought!

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
David
I had an old weight like the second one you pictured - the hook was more like the hook on Jims weight. Howard did a lot of mix and march.

Reactions: David D'Apice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre