Mystery Watch — I hope someone bought this watch!

DTSPatrick

Jul 9, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
Region
Auction is over... discussion is fair game.

Someone posted an “A.W Co 18k Pocket Watch” on a popular auction site. No branding to dial. Not familiar (to me) hallmark on case. (Pics below).
I e-mailed the seller and he states unable to open the inner cover to expose movement. States it’s a “model 1873” because that’s what he found after looking up the case markings and the case serial number. (I don’t think that’s correct)
The suspense is killing me! I so want to know what this “mystery watch” is. Not sure of the manufacturer or date of production. Does look like a pretty substantial 18k case. Final price was $1160. Anybody have any insight into what this watch might be... or even better, did someone on the forum buy this piece and can open it up for us? (It’s like a Christmas present under the tree)

Looking forward to responses.

Antique A.W Co 18k Yellow Gold # 5986 Pocket Watch! Works Perfect! | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vintageguy

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
The dial looks very Swiss to me and I am betting the A.W in the case is for A. Wittnauer. It could be a simple Longines movement but the 18K case suggests it may be one of their higher-grade imports such as Touchon, Agassiz or Audemars-Piguet.

I hope the buyer sees this and sets us straight.

Brad Maisto

Oct 1, 2000
Grandview, IN
Country
Region
This “mystery” watch is why I think, most people get into collecting hoping they score the acquisition of the “crown-jewel”! All kidding aside and since I’m not a betting person, it will be interesting to see if any one does come forth with additional information on this timepiece! It looks to be about a 12S watch, so the amount paid cannot simply be for the gold content? Just my 2 cents.
Brad Maisto (25-year collector) aka KY Floral #44 Secretary

Reactions: DTSPatrick

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Since 55 people have viewed it in the American section(with few comments) and Jerry
thinks the dial looks Swiss I am going to move it to the European
section to see of someone there might want to comment.

Rob

Reactions: Brad Maisto

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I doubt any "regular" on this forum bought this watch. We are pocket watch collectors. Buying a pocket watch without seeing the movement is something we do not ever do, especially on eBay (Flea markets, estate and garage sales for short money maybe).

Either the seller is ignorant or "qualifying the buyer", that is, making sure the buyer is naive.

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
I sometimes buy watches without seeing the movement. Not for THAT money, of course. But I sometimes do, when a watch has a look that it can have a pleasant suprise inside... however my best suprise so far was a high grade Orion movement, nothing better...

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
We do sometimes see some fairly similar Waltham dials (like this one, or sometimes with whitish outside and golden in the big circle) however they're not too similar.

So, I'm with Jerry in suggesting "Swiss", and I'm worried that whoever bought it just wants to melt it.

DSCN5959.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller