Mystery tools.....

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Skutt50, Feb 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I recently got hold of several boxes with horological stuff. Parts and tools. I have most of it sorted but I got stuck on some of the tools.So my question is what are these tools used for?

1. My guess is that this tool is used to shape inner part of a mainspring for clocks. Does it make sense?
    Tång I.JPG

2. I have no idea. First I thought it was used to cut holes in mainsprings but that does not seem right when I look closer .... Any suggestions?
    Tång II(II).JPG Tång II.JPG
    3. Holder for inserting roller jewel?
    Juvel.JPG

4. First I thought is was something related to fountain pens but doesn't make sense. Perhaps another tool for roller jewels?
    Konstig I.JPG

What do you think?

PS. About size: There is 10mm beween the lines on the background paper. DS.

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Number 2 looks like the tool used to set the teeth on a saw blade.

Eric

3. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    No 3 looks like a third hand used for holding items for soldering.

No 4 looks like a tool used for transferring dimensions, like while cutting a replacement staff.

Sharukh

4. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty sure your both correct
    #2 is apparently called a "tooth setter"
    And my old Fvourite catalogue has #3 listed as "self locking tweezers for holding items while soldering"

5. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them comming.

2 - Bending saw teeth! Very possible. I have another tool specially made for this but this might just be a different design. I will have to dig out an old saw and see what happens.

3 - Third hand. Yes possible. There are some blueing from beeing heated up on the tips. I was hoping for something with roller jewels but you might be right with just beeing a third hand for soldering.....

4 - I can't see how this would be used for transfering dimmensions. There are three lips. Two for holding something and then the third lip that moves with the screw.......

EDI: I didn't see your comments munroe when I commented above. Great that we solved two of them. Glad you could confirm with reference to a Favorite catalogue. Thanks.

6. SKennedy

SKennedy Registered User

Jan 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    No 1 might be a general tool intended for forming rings, or in a horological sense, for tightening pocket watch case bows.

7. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    SKennedy, thanks, that makes sense.

I tried it on a clock mainspring and it is way to big to use for shaping the inner coil. Making a ring however is fesable and I will try it on one of the pocket watch case bows.

8. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I have pliers just like No. 1 as well and I think they are for forming pocket watch bows. I have another one as well with radiused notches in it that is more obvious in its intended use. But from the anvil and round shank arrangement I think they are quite certainly made for bending something.

9. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    My guesses. #1- plier for forming or tightening watch bows or other wire, chain links etc.. #3- clamp for holding something while soldering. #2 does look like a saw set and #4 is a mystery to me.-Cort

10. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I happen to collect saw sharpening tools and old hand saws and crosscut saws. No. 2 looks like a saw set tool, but I don't believe it is one. It IS designed to bend something, and is adjustable under the handle (you can see a knurled nut there), but the plated yokes on both sides on either side would prevent a straight saw blade from being set between the anvil and hammer (that's the movable part) correctly. And you wouldn't get a good bend to the tooth with that setup.

Now, after saying all that, I could be wrong. IF the knurled knob on the end of the tool has numbers stamped into it, and when grasped with finger and thumb and turned, the anvil underneath will turn with it, then it might be a saw tooth setter. But, I have never seen one like this compared to the ones I have in my possession. Maybe a picture of that knurled knob end would help clear the air?..............................gary

11. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the additional thoughts.

Gary, here are a pair of pictures of the head taken apart.
    DSC06859.JPG DSC06858.JPG
    I don't know if they will make more sense.

I tried it on a sawblade but even if I could get some preassure on the teeth it is way too impractical for that use. (Major problem fitting the sawblade and hard to shift to a new tooth.

doc_fields likes this.
  12. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Skutt. The knob you removed (to the extreme right in pic #2) has no visible numbers on top of it like you would find with a saw set. But, this is built closely like a saw set, apparently just adapted for something else. One thought that I did have was that it could be a wheel tooth straightener, but the angle of the hammer (or ram?) would preclude that.

Anyway, it might still be a mystery tool, who knows? I've seen other strange tools make it into a watchmaker's bench and presented here on the board also. Maybe someone else might come on here and say "Aha! I know what that is!" and find a pic of it in some obscure and forgotten catalog...................................gary

13. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Thanks gary, always interesting to hear new thoughts.

Let's keep hoping, as per your suggestion, that someone says "Aha! I know what that is!".

doc_fields likes this.