Mystery tool

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
I got this at the flea market and am hoping someone recognizes it. I suspect it is for pallet adjusting but maybe not. Sometimes I get tools just to find out what they are. It is about 3” top to bottom.-Cort

90128C48-C721-4187-B04D-B1BE7B5400BE.jpeg

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Cort, you hit the jackpot. This is an early form of precision adjusting tool. A newer, and fancier version is now available at a price of about $1200 plus shipping and handling.

BTW it is convenient to use these on a hot plate that gets hot enough to melt shallac.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Thank you! It does look like it will clean up well. Now I need to research how to use it. -Cort

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Don't do too much clean up. To use it has to get hot and that darkens it a lot. I suspect it has not been used. If it had it would look a but roasted.

I have had one for years and never figured out a good way to mount the pallet. I am sure there is a way to do it that those in the know teach to students. Previous owner may have also lacked that knowledge and so never heated it.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Lititz Watch Technicum students make one of these as a student project. It looks a bit like this might be shop made as well. This is the modern, commercial version of it:

HP2229-03.jpg

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Don't do too much clean up. To use it has to get hot and that darkens it a lot. I suspect it has not been used. If it had it would look a but roasted.

I have had one for years and never figured out a good way to mount the pallet. I am sure there is a way to do it that those in the know teach to students. Previous owner may have also lacked that knowledge and so never heated it.
Have a look at this:

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Wow! Thank you all. That’s just the info I needed. Directions and everything!-Cort

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Perhaps Dewey can explain. I saw and read the directions. Meanwhile I just lent mine the smartest watchmaker and general mechanical genius I know and await his instruction. When I get is and explains it to me, I will pass it along.

My problems has been getting the pallet mounted without damaging the pivots.Probably I am just stupid in this but my advice is to try it with some junk pallets before trying on an item you value.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Perhaps Dewey can explain. I saw and read the directions. Meanwhile I just lent mine the smartest watchmaker and general mechanical genius I know and await his instruction. When I get is and explains it to me, I will pass it along.

My problems has been getting the pallet mounted without damaging the pivots.Probably I am just stupid in this but my advice is to try it with some junk pallets before trying on an item you value.
Strange about the pivots... By the looks of it the pallets should be supported by the arbor when set it in this tool.

Brunod

Jun 8, 2021
Belgium, french speaking part
Country
Here are 2 others.
When the anchor is placed, it is holded upside down so the flat side rests on the tool's surface (otherwise the sting is making trouble) and the pivot falls in the hole under the clasp.
But it works only with swiss lever. Here is a try with a co-axial anchor : some stone are in the way blocking access to other.

IMG_0421.JPG IMG_1319.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4thdimension

Brunod

Jun 8, 2021
Country
By the way, if you intend to use it, you need an electric heater to melt the shellac. This thing costs as much or more than the tool itself.
You can use a broken coffee heat plate to do the same ;)
CoffeeShellac.jpg

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
I have an old, broken Bergeon hand held dial caliper with the same type of gear arrangement that I've been meaning to convert into a tool like this for quite some time now. I take it the pusher at the bottom makes the brass "anvil" retract so that you can fit the pallets in there? Also, do you use the tool to make the actual adjustments or is this done with pegwood and the change measured using the tool? Pushing on the brass piece would seat the jewel deeper but it might also damage the indicator mechanism?

Last edited:

Brunod

Jun 8, 2021
Country
Here is an inside view. You can view the down lever retracting the block moving to take measure. Turning the side screw pushes the "hammer" lever (see above) deeper, pushing the rubis if shellac is hot. To pull the rubis out, you need another tool like a small screwdriver. IMG_0422.JPG

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Here is an inside view. You can view the down lever retracting the block moving to take measure. Turning the side screw pushes the "hammer" lever (see above) deeper, pushing the rubis if shellac is hot. To pull the rubis out, you need another tool like a small screwdriver. View attachment 658202
I see! A problem with using the screw though would be that you won't know how much you have moved the jewel though. It's a comparator and not an absolute measuring tool. So if you move the screw to push the jewel in, you should get the same reading on the dial.

Is there a tension spring that acts on the screw? Looks like on is pressed into the body of the tool.

Brunod

Jun 8, 2021
Country
Is there a tension spring that acts on the screw? Looks like on is pressed into the body of the tool.
Yes, on the inside view you'll see the spring on the right side. It acts on the hammer which is pushed by the screw.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
There are a lot of surplus lab hot plates around that have good temperature control and get hot enough to meld shellac. Most have built in magnetic stirring bars which are not good for pallets. I removed the magnet from the one I have. These are very inexpensive since there are a lot of them out there.

Reactions: Brunod

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
One last look. The tool cleaned up well. I made two replacement threaded posts to fix the bent one and the broken one. Perhaps I will make it a box so it doesn’t get damaged again but for now I’m pleased.

82E3E074-21A0-4C0F-91FE-0217A336C712.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaizun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller