Mystery Swinger Pendulum

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody have any information regarding the pendulum as described in the following:

"This rare example is unique, not so much because the movement is in the ball, but because the entire "Pendule" swings from side to side without apparent impulse. [There is NO fixed pivot point below the movement]. Rather, the ball contains a compound circular pendulum, held by a 3-point "mystery" suspension. The inertial forces of the hidden oscillating pendulum, receiving impulse from the movement, are enough to keep the entire pendule swinging from side to side.

I have acquired one I want to repair. Thanks for your help.

John

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody have any information regarding the pendulum as described in the following:

"This rare example is unique, not so much because the movement is in the ball, but because the entire "Pendule" swings from side to side without apparent impulse. [There is NO fixed pivot point below the movement]. Rather, the ball contains a compound circular pendulum, held by a 3-point "mystery" suspension. The inertial forces of the hidden oscillating pendulum, receiving impulse from the movement, are enough to keep the entire pendule swinging from side to side.

I have acquired one I want to repair. Thanks for your help.

John

john brendel

NAWCC Member
Oct 1, 2000
Hi John,
It sounds like the description of an Ansonia swinging arm clock or a French swinger of similar design. The expert on these clocks is Charles Carrick 410-798-0450. He is the best person if you need one repaired. These clocks work in the reverse manner from most pendulum clocks. If you lower the bottom ball or add weight to it they run faster. If you raise the ball or remove weight they run slower. I can probably help you if you have specific questions. I have repaired several of them. John B.

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Hi John
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this clock is considerably different then the Ansonia Swingers you decribe. This clock has a round ball movement suspended by two chains. There is nothing below the movement. The length of the chains is adjusted to regulate the period. A picture of the clock is at http://www.clockcentre.com/mystery/soldmyst.html and is the fifth from the bottom. Thanks again

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hi John
Did you get it to run yet?

If you found any information would you please post it or send me a copy of it.

Thanks
Don DeMarcus

demarcusdrainage@attbi.com

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
This clock looks just like a more standard mystery clock with a rigid structure to the suspension point. However, it would seem to have a lot more loss in the suspension. I would expect it to take quite a spring to even run for 30 hours.

None of the mystery clocks are related to the conical pendulums that look a bit similar.

The movement sounds very interesting. I wonder if a picture could possibly be posted?

Tom McIntyre
2nd VP Elect
Tommy the JOAT's Web

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Hi Tom
I have two good pictures but no URL to post then on. If you want to provide me your Email I wlll forward the photos to you. To date I have received no information regarding the movement from any source. I have a research request placed with the NAWCC but I have heard nothing yet. I have searched the patent office records and posted internet requests at various locations but to date, Mick at the London Clock Center have been the only one to be kindly able to offer any assistance, though it has been general in nature. I am at rodarte3@yahoo.com

Edited to make the email address live

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on May 07, 2003 at 12:30.]

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwbarnett
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool