Mystery resin or nylon 3 jaw chuck on 8mm collet??

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by RodJB, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RodJB

RodJB Registered User

Dec 13, 2008
    Richmond BC Canada / Kirkintilloch Scotland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never come across one of these before...Any thoughts?
    DSC09801.JPG DSC09803.JPG DSC09802.JPG

2. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Some years ago, they showed up at several of the regional shows/Marts (or appear to be the same ones) in the US. I have never tried one if it is the same thing made from plastic. I also do not recall what they were intended for, but it could not have been anything requiring accuracy. Again if I recall, they were asking $25.00 at the time.

I wish I had purchased one as a curiosity item for the tool collection.

Jerry Kieffer

RodJB likes this.
  3. motormaker

motormaker Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a 4th axis for a Roland CNC machine that has a black plastic 4 jaw chuck. These were designed for holding machinable wax while it was being cut. The wax was used for lost wax type of jewelry castings. Detail can be very good. There is very little strain on these chucks. 3 jaw chucks were also supplied by several makers. Most of these were/are used for modeling finger rings.

RodJB likes this.
  4. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    I think PROXXON and Cool-Tool (in Austria for the Unimat 1) have both plastic chucks in their range. Could be good for holding delicate items, such as indeed rings made from precious metals, so as not to damage the surface. Obviously one cannot expect too much repeatability.

RodJB likes this.