Mystery Pocket Watch!

Martin Burnett

Jul 29, 2006
South Carolina
Country
Region
Hello,

As I was sitting on my Front Porch an old Electrian friend of mine showed up to my door with a smile in his eyes and a plea in his voice. He brought me his great Grandfathers watch that his Great Grandfather brought back from WW1. Apparently there is a long story to it but I won't go into that now. The watch was played with by his Grand Father and Grand Uncle and it got damaged. Since then it has been sitting in a various drawers for over 80 years or so, being passed on. The engraving loosely translated says it was given for valor by the Germans for batt or company no. 257 in Russia or words to that effect. The case is marked ARGENTAN with a serial number. the movement is marked on the wheel with GALA ANTIMAGNETIQUE. I haven't taken it apart yet to look on the inside and the dial isn't marked. As you can see by the attached pictures I will be doing some work on this one. If anyone can provide a manufacturer or any other information he would be very greatful. his intention is to pass it to his son once it is restored.

Many Thanks
Martin 87938.jpg 87939.jpg 87940.jpg 87941.jpg

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region
Hi,

the "Gala" trade mark was used by several companies: Favre Freres (La Neuveville), Favre Freres (Cormoret - had nothing to do with the first Favre Freres) and Liengme & Co. SA (also from Cormoret).

The Pritchard even adds Moise Dreyfuss (La Chaux-de-Fonds) to that list of companies.

Andreas

Martin Burnett

Jul 29, 2006
South Carolina
Country
Region
HI,

Thanks for the information! I hope some one can possibly nail it down to a time frame and a manufactuer. Any information on the case would help.

Thanks
Martin

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Martin, Argentan is the name of an alloy designed to look like silver (but it isn't). That is what the case is made of.

I can't match your movement plate pattern to any of mine, I'm afraid.

Martin Burnett

Jul 29, 2006
South Carolina
Country
Region
Marty,

Thankyou for that information. Every little bit helps! Now I am down to finding out which Factory made it. If anyone know please drop a line.

Many
Thanks
Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBrahim80
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre