Mystery Part - Goldsmith and Silversmiths Company Mantel clock

Embemor

Feb 16, 2016
Country
Hello;
I am trying to clean a clock that my family has had for a long time. I think it is about 100 years old. There are no markings anywhere on it aside from on the dial where it says,
"Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company
112 Regent St
London"

See pictures attached.

In taking the clock apart, I was very particular about taking pictures. I took about 75 pics of all stages of the teardown from every angle I could manage. Mysteriously, however, a part appeared on my bench and its origin has me puzzled. If anyone could give me any idea where the mystery part shown in the attached pics came from , I'd appreciate it.
cheers,
Dave
Nanoose Bay, British Columbia,
Clock 1.jpg Clock 2.jpg Clock 3.jpg Clock 4.jpg Clock 5.jpg Mystery part 1.jpg Mystery part 2.jpg Mystery part 3.jpg

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The item is called "canoe washer." Actually a curved spring which faces the flat face of the canon.
It may have a square hole to fit on a square of the center arbor closest to the front plate.

it is placed on the minute arbor to provide friction to the canon and the hands.

Last edited:

Embemor

Feb 16, 2016
Country
Les,
I found the place where the 'canoe washer' came from thanks to your explanation.
Looking very closely, I can see a little residue mark that matches a small portion of the curve of the washer on the bottom of the canon wheel.
Will it matter which side up this washer is installed?
Thanks
dave

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Your photo of the canoe or tension washer reveals that its hole has a square shape to engage with a square portion of the center arbor. This to cause the rotation of the center arbor to rotate the washer accordingly.

The convex shape of the canoe washer acts as a friction coupling between the center arbor and the canon. Its position on the arbor is essential else the cannon will not rotate with enough force to enable the hour hand rotation.

Embemor

Feb 16, 2016
Country
Actually, the pic is a little misleading. The hole is absolutely round. I think I can make out a faint wear mark which indicates the orientation of the washer. It looks as though it goes convex side against the plate with the concave side against the bottom of the wheel.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
On some clocks, the canoe washer hole is smooth and round but still provides sufficient drive to the hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller