• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Mystery Clock

allimarmm

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Looking for help in identifying the manufacturer of this clock from my grandparents home. It is at least 50 years old and I suspect built in the mid-20th century. My grandparents did not have a ton of money so I would imagine it was a low-cost and readily available model that, even today, is not overly collectible. From what I can easily find there are no markings anywhere inside or outside the clock that identify a name or model. Any help is appreciated.
9E396AEE-72CA-4105-9A39-24D8D209D1BD.jpeg 576C11E0-9985-4BA3-988F-92A1DB046FF2.jpeg E7B6898E-0E35-488C-BC3F-71CD033C4DFC.jpeg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The movement is by the New Haven Clock Co. Although that suggests that the whole clock is product of New Haven, certain features, particularly the shape of the door to the hood, suggest to me that the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co. made the case. If that is correct, and I'm not sure it is, your clock predates considerably the mid 20th century. Ithaca was out of business by 1918. They also used New Haven movements, as well as movements by others, in their longcase clocks. Have a look at the following thread.

Ithaca weight driven Grandfather clock.Aquired at auction. | NAWCC Forums

Reactions: Mr. Time

allimarmm

Jul 19, 2021
Country
The movement is by the New Haven Clock Co. Although that suggests that the whole clock is product of New Haven, certain features, particularly the shape of the door to the hood, suggest to me that the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co. made the case. If that is correct, and I'm not sure it is, your clock predates considerably the mid 20th century. Ithaca was out of business by 1918. They also used New Haven movements, as well as movements by others, in their longcase clocks. Have a look at the following thread.

Ithaca weight driven Grandfather clock.Aquired at auction. | NAWCC Forums
Ahh, that would make sense as my Grandfather lived his entire life in an area about 45 minutes from Ithaca, NY. This insight will help me narrow down my research. Thanks!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here is another tidbit about these Ithaca’s. Almost all of these clocks have a penciled in notation behind the dial, on the right side of the bonnet, with the date of production, and the production number in that particular year.

That’s a trick I learned from Peter Nunes. If your clock has such a penciled notation, it is an Ithaca. If there is no annotation, it still might be by Ithaca. However, I can’t yet completely rule out that it is a New Haven case.

allimarmm

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Here is another tidbit about these Ithaca’s. Almost all of these clocks have a penciled in notation behind the dial, on the right side of the bonnet, with the date of production, and the production number in that particular year.

That’s a trick I learned from Peter Nunes. If your clock has such a penciled notation, it is an Ithaca. If there is no annotation, it still might be by Ithaca. However, I can’t yet completely rule out that it is a New Haven case.
That is very interesting. I took back panel off the clock and did find two separate pencil markings though I can’t make sense of either other than a possible year of 1907. I took a couple of pics; let me know if anything makes sense to you! Thanks again.
0F1CDE3E-63EF-46E8-807E-05B7FC05782C.jpeg 25FF4D9D-AE12-41F0-A828-5F4DCAECEB31.jpeg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Those marks don’t appear to be on the right side of the bonnet, so I can’t say for certain what they are. Repairman’s marks perhaps?

allimarmm

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Those marks don’t appear to be on the right side of the bonnet, so I can’t say for certain what they are. Repairman’s marks perhaps?
The pic below was taken of the left side of the top when viewing from the rear of the clock. This may be the right side bonnet in clock terms! Anyways the number listed is 241-12-07. Does this sound like a model number?
F35B5D82-4CD7-4643-8DFE-EABB9325E368.jpeg

allimarmm

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Thanks! I’d like to sell the clock on Craigslist to someone who can restore it and enjoy. Is $200 a fair asking price without knowing if all parts are correct and if it works? It worked while my grandparents were alive but I have not tried winding since moving to my house 10+ years ago.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
I got my Ithaca for $75 and got a FREE 400 day anniversary clock. That was two years ago. Once your grandparents clock is gone, it is gone. I would think it has more value to you than that. If you have it fixed, the value goes up marginally.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
without knowing if all parts are correct and if it works?
Why don't you know if it works? Have you not tried to run it? You don't mention any missing parts, so there would be no reason why you couldn't try as far as I can see.

As others have said, the value of this clock as a family heirloom is greater than you would likely get of Craigslist, and you certainly wouldn't do very well if you had to list it saying you didn't know if it worked or not.

JTD

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Family history, American history, I certainly wouldn't let that one slip away.
Willie X
What Willie said. Few of us are fortunate enough to have a piece of working history from within our own family. I have a cuckoo clock and a 400-day clock I inherited from my grandfather. And since I got them working, I've accumulated another 50 or so about whose history I know nothing. I wish I did. For example, there's one 400-day clock I bought from a man in Poland. It was built in 1913 and has survived two brutal world wars. I'd like to know how it survived, and how it got all the nicks and dings on it.

Mr. Time

Feb 13, 2017
TEXAS
Country
Region
Just my $0.02 here......

Wow...seems like some people just don't really know what they have or just don't care.

Hey that's their choice but "IF" I had something like that treasure, especially from my family heirloom I would be over joyed and grateful to have it and either fix or restore it myself or pay to have that done.

I wish someone from my family would have left me something like that. I would embrace it and view it as a continuation to possibly be passed on to one's kid's, grandkid's, or other family member, etc. but not just to any other family member...one that actually appreciate's things like that.

Years ago I purchased a high dollar mantel clock that my wife and I appreciate and proudly have displayed when our daughter was in pre-school knowing full well that it would definitely be passed on to her and kept in the family. Now since that time she graduated college back in 2016 and has since started her career for the LA Times and hopefully one day it will be passed on to her or hopefully one day grandkid(s).

Last edited:
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noynac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions