Mystery Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by NewEnglandClockFan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NewEnglandClockFan

NewEnglandClockFan New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I bought this clock for 49 dollars. It needs new glass, new cap nut for the hands, and I had to buy a winding key. I have no idea what brand clock it is, but I know that it was made in New Haven Conn. The pendulum and escapement are having problems they stop after ticking for a few minutes. I was not sure if this the correct place to post. The chime is a cathedral gong but past that I don't know anything else.

461889-4bd62fbc629edfe461e629d0d927021b.jpg 461890-317ed0e02ef64ebc54d22516a3fa1982.jpg 461891-b9eeec7e4bbaa6f16532b0997bf0e6b4.jpg

2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board. Nice little clock, I think the answers to your questions are in the label itself. It looks like it is the "Aurine" model made by the New Haven Clock Company. It would be worthwhile for you to have it cleaned and serviced, it looks in decent shape. Here is another thread that speaks to the Aurine model, Steven dates it to around 1917.
    Don

New Haven Clock - Does it have a name?

NewEnglandClockFan likes this.
  3. NewEnglandClockFan

Aug 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I was wondering if Aurine meant the style or something else. I thought it looked in good shape one of the reasons I bought it, but I'm a novice so I wasn't sure.

4. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock maybe just needs to be put in beat (if it is off-level, the clock will stop running pretty fast). This might not be the problem, but if it is, it's a relatively easy one to correct. I remember there being a Beat Setting forum post somewhere, so if you search those terms up you'll be able to see how to set your clock in beat.

5. NewEnglandClockFan

Aug 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you both for the responses I got my clock working for about an hour and half so I think it is a level problem.

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Level and off beat, two different things. Search beat setting, its a good read.

7. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Wagon Driver. previously a roadside mechanic
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    I had a bid on a clock very similar to this last time I went to the auctions. Was gutted when the price went over the cash i had in my pocket

8. NewEnglandClockFan

Aug 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I got the clock to work it has been running for three days.

Natedog, Kevin W., PatH and 1 other person like this.