American Mystery clock from 1804 from my Frankenstein collection

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by george rini, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. george rini

george rini Registered User

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello clock people,
    Can anyone help me identify this clock movement? Please see thumbnail photo. The only company I have found to be a maybe is R, Winstanley. The clock was put together from parts from different clocks. Everything works swimmingly. Thank you. George
    1804_clock.jpg 1804.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think we need to see a picture of the movement itself, not just the dial, in order to identify it.

Welcome to the Message Board!

Uhralt

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your pictures aren't helping solve the mystery as seeing the movement and the whole clock would help. It sort of looks like a VR type clock which is weight driven, good to hear it works.

4. george rini

george rini Registered User

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is the movement that goes along with my previous post.

1804_movem.jpg 1804_move.jpg

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    #5 Ticktocktime100, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Hi,

The movement is English or potentially Scottish, and a nice one. The date of 1804 on the dial is intriguing, as it doesn’t look to be quite that early. I would place it around 1820-1830 in date. A quick search revealed an R. Winstanley based in Ormskirk, West Lancashire, but I see no similarity between his signature and the one on your dial, so I am doubtful it is him. I have a gut feeling that the original case for this movement may have been a drumhead case, which would point to it being of Scottish origin. It is purely based on this that I mention a potential Scottish connection, but I may be wrong.

Regards.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum seems to be a replacement, adapted from a more modern movement. This clock should have the typical longcase pendulum which is one piece (no leader), has a long suspension spring with a brass block that goes inside the crutch. You can see that the crutch has been bent wider to fit the pendulum leader.

Uhralt

7. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Indeed, Uhralt is quite correct about the pendulum and pendulum leader.