Mystery Chain Swinger Clock

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody have any information regarding the pendulum as described in the following:

"This rare example is unique, not so much because the movement is in the ball, but because the entire "Pendule" swings from side to side without apparent impulse. [There is NO fixed pivot point below the movement]. Rather, the ball contains a compound circular pendulum, held by a 3-point "mystery" suspension. The inertial forces of the hidden oscillating pendulum, receiving impulse from the movement, are enough to keep the entire pendule swinging from side to side.

I have acquired one in need of repair. Curious clock I must say. Thanks for your help.

John

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody have any information regarding the pendulum as described in the following:

"This rare example is unique, not so much because the movement is in the ball, but because the entire "Pendule" swings from side to side without apparent impulse. [There is NO fixed pivot point below the movement]. Rather, the ball contains a compound circular pendulum, held by a 3-point "mystery" suspension. The inertial forces of the hidden oscillating pendulum, receiving impulse from the movement, are enough to keep the entire pendule swinging from side to side.

I have acquired one in need of repair. Curious clock I must say. Thanks for your help.

John

J

jparker

By your sales description, it is difficult for me to tell. Is it a swinger? or one of the mystery clocks by Jefferson? Can you describe the clock? This would help. Jim

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
The clock is a "chain swinger" suspended by a chain from a statue's arm. The clock is ball shaped and swings at the end of the two chains with no apparent pendulum. Internal to the ball is a circular pendulum as decribed. The clocks are quite rare and as a result locating any information has been difficult.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment