My "Tower Clock"

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Sooth, Jun 11, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This isn't really a tower clock, but it is my own public clock, which hangs in the front window of my apartment.

I had originally made it using one of those "high torque quartz movements" and my original pattern was not too great. The numerals were thin, as were the hands that came with the movement. Still, I left it this was for a few years until just the other day, when I decided to both replace the hands, and completely repaint the dial.

The following photos show the results. This is what it used to look like (version 1):

37.jpg

It wasn't too bad, but it was not easy to see from a distance.

Here is the newly painted design, with much larger numerals, and beefier hands.

38.jpg

The hands were very quickly fashioned from metal flashing (I used scissors to cut them out). I used washers (glued to the backs) to balance the hands.

I decided not to include minute marks this time. The dial is 24" and the numerals are all 1/2" wide.

All that's left to do will be to varnish the dial, then attach some new mounting hardware to it (better hangers).

2. itbme1987

itbme1987 Registered User

May 18, 2008
    Male
    Technology Support Engineer
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your did a nice job the 1st time and 2nd time, i see what you mean, the narrow hands and numbers would be hard to notice from afar, when you have it all done would you show a pic of it when its positioned? Again it really looks nice :thumb:

3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sure I can post more photos of the finished clock. Though be warned that the building isn't too pretty.

I definitely plan to take a better photo of the finished clock once I have it all done.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks great, Sooth. Your dial work is superb. I have put movements into a few of these giant clocks, and balanced the hands as you did. The movement isn't powerful enough without having the hands balanced.
    Well done.:thumb::thumb:

5. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some new pictures...

I made myself a nice stopper to hold the dial perpendicular to the window (since it just hangs, and would otherwise lean over) using a piece of steel with a long threaded rod with a shaped point on the end. The other hardware I installed were some actual hooks on the back. Previously I had used just brass push pins.

40.jpg

Here it is hanging in the front window. Sorry about all the reflections, but there's not much I can do, it's behind glass.

41.jpg

I will take a photo from the sidewalk or across the street tomorrow (or at some point when I get the time).