my Synchronome set

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I was asked to post Pics of the Synchronome set so here it is. The slaves are dusty as i havent even looked at them in at least 6 years, but im now on a mission to set them put together and running as they were meant to be. I didnt even remember how many slaves i had until i unboxed them. there are 3 brass (8.5 inch) , 1 copper (9 inch) , and 2 wood cases (8.25 inch). all measured at the case. All the dials are 6 inch, except for the copper, which is 8 inches

IMG_1630 a.jpg IMG_1631 a.jpg IMG_1632 a.jpg

John UK

Mar 25, 2006
Thank you for the pictures. The 3 slave dials with the convex glass and 'fancy' hands are unusual. I have not seen that pattern before. The copper cased one and the two wooden based ones are well known types. The master having green coil wire dates to pre about 1953.

Reactions: demoman3955

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Thank you for the pictures. The 3 slave dials with the convex glass and 'fancy' hands are unusual. I have not seen that pattern before. The copper cased one and the two wooden based ones are well known types. The master having green coil wire dates to pre about 1953.
Ill start working on it when i gather the rest of it, and finish other projects. Ill hang the slaves around the master and have them all working together. That is unless it keeps me awake at night...lol

Lewis Luffman

Jan 26, 2022
Courtice on. Canada
Country
I like them a lot. thanks for posting the pics. a complete set like that, has got to be very rare . I didn't expect the slave clocks to be different styles.
there is an article on this board, about lubricating them, make sure all the moving parts are free to move before powering anything.
from their condition in the pictures I would think they will come back to life very easily.
institutional clocks were all way overbuilt because equipment failure was not acceptable in those days.
the master clock power retirement is something you have to research carefully before activating, but the slaves can be tested by using a small adapter , say 3v 500 ma .. even a usb, just strip the ends of the wire ,and touch them briefly to the coil contacts. you will then see the action that moves the minute hand forward . the hot wire is usually marked with a faint white line
it's so good that their significance will now be recognized and appreciated way into the future
as for me . my tower slave clock is keeping perfect time, it clicks loudly every 30 seconds, and the dial needs to be 5 foot across.
so far , i haven't convinced my wife, that it deserves a place in our living room , or the back yard, or the front of the house.

keep us posted on your progress

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I like them a lot. thanks for posting the pics. a complete set like that, has got to be very rare . I didn't expect the slave clocks to be different styles.
there is an article on this board, about lubricating them, make sure all the moving parts are free to move before powering anything.
from their condition in the pictures I would think they will come back to life very easily.
institutional clocks were all way overbuilt because equipment failure was not acceptable in those days.
the master clock power retirement is something you have to research carefully before activating, but the slaves can be tested by using a small adapter , say 3v 500 ma .. even a usb, just strip the ends of the wire ,and touch them briefly to the coil contacts. you will then see the action that moves the minute hand forward . the hot wire is usually marked with a faint white line
it's so good that their significance will now be recognized and appreciated way into the future
as for me . my tower slave clock is keeping perfect time, it clicks loudly every 30 seconds, and the dial needs to be 5 foot across.
so far , i haven't convinced my wife, that it deserves a place in our living room , or the back yard, or the front of the house.

keep us posted on your progress
Yeah its rare to get room for a clock in my house. Yep i have quite a few in different rooms, but man, she needs places for plants and pictures. Women are funny that way.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Very nice. If these all come from one institution do you think the different slaves reflect the status of different rooms/staff in the building? I’m thinking the boardroom needs a posher slave clock than the post sorting room…..

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Very nice. If these all come from one institution do you think the different slaves reflect the status of different rooms/staff in the building? I’m thinking the boardroom needs a posher slave clock than the post sorting room…..
Thats what my dad told me. He bought the clocks that were in a mansion, and I believe to copper was in the kitchen, the brass maybe bedrooms (?) and wood maybe studies and or an office. but who knows. I need to find the paperwork and info that came with the clocks when bought from the factory. Then maybe try to get more info of the history on the clocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiceconi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-