• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

My shelf clocks - Guess which one is running?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
47FC4AA2-DF3E-4CBB-9DCD-614252792EF0.jpeg
Two Seth Thomas, Wadsworth, Lounsberry & Turners, Sperry & Shaw with an 8 day Barraud.
They all will run but only one will keep time better than two minutes a week.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hmm, I suspect this is a trick question. Since they all read different times in the photo.
My guess is the 8 day cottage clock, second from right. Based on taking a blind guess.
No offense, I like French clocks but I know it's not the French clock.
How's the Barraud running?

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I'd say it is the clock in the center. It's closest to the time that you made your post.

Frank

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
View attachment 632085
Two Seth Thomas, Wadsworth, Lounsberry & Turners, Sperry & Shaw with an 8 day Barraud.
They all will run but only one will keep time better than two minutes a week.
I don't know which clock you choose to keep running though I suspect the 8 day shelf regulator as being more convenient rather than a 30 hour clock which you would need to wind daily. More "watch like" than the others?

I would probably run the Barraud regularly, though I do like clocks that chime.

RM

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I like French clocks but I know it's not the French clock.
Chris, I did not think of that part of the quiz. There is no French clock. The two smaller ones are both Seth Thomas.:) The fancy one is signed Seth Thomas' Sons (as was the factory they were both made in.)

Reactions: Chris Radano

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Actually Frank guessed, but he sort of cheated by looking at the back of the picture. :)

I have had the Barraud running for over a year now. It has a Flammenville escapement, which is a dead beat verge. It has an uncompensated balance and keeps time in my house to better than 2 minutes/week. Adjusting the regulator is the most difficult part but my real interest is in stability of rate. I have not yet set up my Microset to get some really accurate measurement of the rate.

It was made in 1818.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Actually Frank guessed, but he sort of cheated by looking at the back of the picture.
Tom: I didn't cheat. The clock read about 1:10 and you posted at 1:39, so it made sense. How do you look at the back of a picture?

Frank

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Well, I over thought the question. The Barraud is the most expensive, highest quality, and most massive timepiece of the lot. Personally I own a Barraud & Lund twin fusee bracket clock. I forget the serial number of my clock offhand, but it dates in the 1850s. Fabulous quality.
Tom, I thought you said earlier the Barraud's escapement had a finite life span.
Seth Thomas and Sons look French.
Some of the modest USA clocks can be accurate timekeepers.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have it from Fortunat Mueller-Maerki that the story of the disappearance of the Flammenville was due to pallet wear causing a loss of the deadbeat performance. Richard Ketchen restored the "verge" for me after convincing himself from the sparse literature that the 180 deg. palette angle was specific to that escapement. I will be happy if it lasts another 20 or 30 years.

When I discussed this with David Penney, he said there were quite a few English verges with the rounded pallets and if they exhibited recoil, most English collectors considered them to be verges. I have not followed up with David on the palette angle question. I am not sure what reference Richard found for that.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
How do you look at the back of a picture?
I thought you had looked at the EXIF data from the image file. Sorry for questioning your integrity. If I had been more clever, I could have waited until the next morning to post the image here. :)

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
If I had been more clever, I could have waited until the next morning to post the image here. :)
Of course, it wouldn't have helped if you waited 12 hours! <grin>
Frank