My Schatz 1000 day rescue

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wayne A, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found this Schatz 1000 day at a yard sale. Looks to have sat in a shed without dome for a few decades. Well I had to have it. Had a difficult time finding a dome that fits properly and the one I have did not fit. Ended up cutting a grove to make it wide enough using a diamond bit.
    Think this clock was originally fitted with plastic dome and well I had zero luck finding an original. So when I was cleaning it up I removed the bottom plate that I suspect was only used to hold the plastic dome on. The plate was even wider so if I left the plate on no way the dome I have would have fitted. Its far from perfect but its running again.

20190823_114910.jpg 20190823_114919.jpg 20191001_171552.jpg 20191001_171620.jpg

Dave T, ChemyBro and etmb61 like this.
  2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great job Wayne!

It looks like your clock would have had a locking dome. I didn't know Schatz used them on the 1000 dayers. I have a 400 day (5000 series) in the same style with a locking plastic dome. Nice clocks.

Eric

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find Wayne, i am envious, dont see many of the 1000 day clocks around. Nice to see its getting some tlc now. Enjoy.

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My model 54 examples have exactly the same locking tab system as on the 53s with a locking plastic dome. And most of those have at least one crack in the plastic at the tab(s). Sometimes... I wonder why they even entertained certain of their design choices.

5. ChemyBro

ChemyBro New Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Male
    Russia
    Moscow
    Country Flag:
    Great Wayne very nice clock!

I have a 1000 day with plastic dome too.

Michael

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice job on the clean up! I have three 1000-day clocks with the round dial and none of them have a locking dome arrangement. Also none of mine have the "fancy" crown on them...I wonder if that's a signal to the differences in domes.

Kurt

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just never noticed it. Some lock, some don't. The one (1000 series) I own does not. Looks like the introduction of the locking plastic domes happened in 1956. That might correspond to the introduction of the 5000 series clocks.

Eric

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a round dial 1000-day clock dated 11 58 and it has no locking dome...it's a standard glass dome.

Eric, what's a "5000 series" clock?

Kurt

9. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like this:

5000.jpg

It's a Schatz 53 with legs and a crown under a dome.

I just noticed the brochure doesn't show the locking domes.

Eric

10. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric -

Thanks...never really connected them to "5000 series" as I don't have access to brochures. I just think of them as Model 53. I have a couple of them, both miniatures. As for the 1000-day, I don't consider them as miniatures, but I guess they have to be...they're certainly not full size compared to the standard 400-day clock.

Kurt

11. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't exactly checked... But, I'd bet most of the wheels are the same on a 53 and 54. The latter having one more and a bigger mainspring.

12. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One thing for sure is that mainspring is huge on the 54. Was surprised that the spring looked great after cleaning the dried up goop on it.

13. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Think I read somewhere the plastic domes were a short production run.

14. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, really enjoy looking for these clocks and bringing them back into working condition.

15. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found a much better looking face off ebay. That silver plate background on the original was full of rust specks, any attempt to lightly polish it and the sliver would rub off.

Been monitoring the swing and its fairly consistent 344 deg but what seems unusual is the center of the rotation drifts 5 to 8 degrees slowly. Beat checks good every time I check it. When I had it apart I polished the the pallets lightly but noticed under magnification that there are some machine marks that run across the faces. Looks like how it was originally made but don't know if this is why I'm seeing the center drift. You would have to be watching a clock closely to even notice this, I'd not notice without the degree wheel on the bottom plate.

20191003_192854[1].jpg

16. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Made a couple of changes and its working better. Not sure if I helped it or it just needed more "break in" time. Anyway I coated the pallets, EW, Fork and pin with a teflon lube called Dry fluid, let it dry for an hour and rubbed it off. Did find the fork was a little loose on the pin, was two papers tight and now only one paper thickness fits. Now its only varying a couple of deg over time with 359deg rotation. I've used Dry Fluid a couple of years to coat gears on my rc helicopters, definitely works for that.