My old clock.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by abereiter, Sep 28, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. abereiter

abereiter Guest

Hello to all. I asked about my grandpas old clock a while ago and thanks for the responces. It still needs a cleaning but is up and running. I found out it had to set level or else. Well it runs. My question is how do I set the time? I assume that
    I just move the hands? I have a key that I believe is for that, like a key set pocket watch. Does it matter which way I go (forward/backwards). It does have a chime. Thanks to all for the responces.

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    IHC Member #55

2. abereiter

abereiter Guest

Hello to all. I asked about my grandpas old clock a while ago and thanks for the responces. It still needs a cleaning but is up and running. I found out it had to set level or else. Well it runs. My question is how do I set the time? I assume that
    I just move the hands? I have a key that I believe is for that, like a key set pocket watch. Does it matter which way I go (forward/backwards). It does have a chime. Thanks to all for the responces.

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    IHC Member #55

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aaron, I did not see your earlier post, but essentially all clocks except for small portable ones are set by moving the hands directly with your fingers.

On marine chronometers, the winding key fits the minute hand arbor, but on nearly all others there is just a round post with either a nut or a pin to hold the minute hand on.

With chiming clocks you should avoid turning the hands backward. On some clocks this can cause damage to the striking works.

If your clock has a count wheel, it is important to let it strike each of the hours and half hours as you turn the hands. If your clock has a rack and snail mechanism, you can just turn it to the correct hour.

An exception is some musical chime clocks where the chiming will get out of synchronization if you don't let it complete. On these clocks, they will still chime the correct number of notes, but they will begin at the wrong point in the tune.

I have one of those and I sometimes set it up wrong on purpose when we are having a party to see if people recognize that it is strange. Most non-collectors become very puzzled when the Westminster chime plays in shifted sequence. :)

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web

4. abereiter

abereiter Guest

Thanks Tom, A couple of more questions then. Do I have to wind the chime weights. Tha clock runs fine and I dont need the extra noise. Second when the chime is wound it is out of sequence. Like the clock says four o'clock but it chimes four hours slow. or 12o'clock. How do I fix that. Thanks for your help.

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    IHC Member #55

5. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Aaron just move the hour hand , the small one to the hour that has just struck in your case the twelve . Set the time that it is supposed to be .AND by going to that time (forward ) (not backwards ) check to see the sequence is in order. Yes the chime will stop and the clock will still run if you do not wind the strike side . But you do want it to work long enough for you to see if the sequence is in order , At least you will know if it works correct or not. Then let it run down and not make noise .YOUR CLOCK YOUR CHOICE. I hope this helps you out. Mike 0136966

------------------

6. abereiter

abereiter Guest

Mike, Thanks for the advice. One problem though. The chime is four hours off and the hands are on a square arbor. Moving the hands will gain me to within one hour but then what? Thanks

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    IHC Member #55

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike's advice is correct, but someone unfamiliar with the clock might need a little more.

You want to hold the minute hand still and move only the hour hand. It is friction fit to its cannon pinion and will turn independently.

Most chime clocks have a disengaging lever that will lift the hammer arms so that they do not strike the chimes. That is an alternative for silencing it. If it is not self synchronizing, the problem I described earlier will occur if you just let it run down. You can also just remove the chime weight rather than letting it run down. If you do, you need to be careful of the cord.

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web

8. abereiter

abereiter Guest

Thanks Tom, It runs great now and the chime is on time. (Hey that worked out great. :biggrin:) Thanks again Tom and Mike

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    IHC Member #55

9. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Aaron. We are glad you got it going without to much trouble, ENJOY. Mike

------------------

10. P Gorman

P Gorman Guest

Sam,
    I think all the Posts to this thread have missed the point that Aaron is referring to the Strike as the Chime. Some of the replies may have been confusing.
    Paul