my newest clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bilingual_Illiterate, Oct 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bilingual_Illiterate

Bilingual_Illiterate Registered User

Jul 17, 2013
    it has been a long time since ive posted on here..since then, i have been collecting clocks and now im trying to repair them..i bought this little clock for 20 bucks on ebay, and it wasnt working, and was full of kitchen grease, feathers, it was a mess..now its running quite nicely and keeping time, but i am curious as to how old it might be? it says "new haven no.84 tambour" on the bottom, i dont think its particularly valuable or anything, but i am curious as to how old it could be. it looks really old to me, though. here is a before and after :) i took the entire thing apart and cleaned it with an ultrasonic cleaner and polished up the case. before.jpg after.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good work! The case cleaned up very nicely and now shows beautiful wood grain. I would date the clock about 1920 based on the style of the numerals and the hands. Others may have Tran's New Haven book and will be able to be more specific. How did you clean the dial? That's always a risky undertaking, but it turned out well.

Uhralt

Bilingual_Illiterate likes this.
  3. Bilingual_Illiterate

Jul 17, 2013
    i used brasso and baby wipes! i also used that to clean the little hands as well. i was first cleaning the hands, and i got some of the brasso on the dial, and it seemed ok, so i very very gently cleaned the whole thing, trying to avoid the numbers as much as possible. probably not the best thing to use, but it worked ok.

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use Brasso, and it works well, but some care needs to be taken when using it. I only use it when I know I can wash the piece in warm water so I am sure there is no residue left. It’s a real pain to try to clean the Brasso residue out of tiny crevices after it dries and sets, and the residue can do some harm. Paste polish like Flitz or Simichrome is my go to for pieces that can’t be washed. Seems it worked well on your clock. Cleaned up very nice.

Bilingual_Illiterate likes this.
  5. Bilingual_Illiterate

Jul 17, 2013
    im going to try to find some of that, i like the brasso but it was horribly messy...ive been looking and looking, and i cant find a thing about this clock though. its definitely not rare, so i figured it would be easy to track something down. its still keeping great time, albeit a bit fast, thanks to me turning the little thing on top to make it run fast