My newest Acquisition a Dan'l Douglas of Whitehaven Tall Clock.

Rex Franklin

Nov 17, 2020
I would like to be able to date and get more information on my Dan’l Douglas Tall Clock.

I purchased the the clock from the Estate of Evelyn Venable. Evelyn was an actress in the 1930’s and 40’s in Hollywood. I found a LA Times news paper article dated 1936 about Evelyn Venable receiving a 200 year old grandfather clock from the Estate of her Grandfather William Henry Venable.

William Henry Venable was an author from Ohio and the clock came with letters from William Henry Venable to Evelyn’s father Emerson dated 1900 to 1904 and many photo’s of Evelyn and her family.
Douglas Tall Clock.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Nearer a 100 years old in 1936. The dial is a little uncommon in having painted decoration inside the chapter ring, other than that it is a nicely painted dial 30 hour longcase. You may find a dialmaker's mark on the back of the dial or the falseplate if it has one.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I would like to be able to date and get more information on my Dan’l Douglas Tall Clock.

I purchased the the clock from the Estate of Evelyn Venable. Evelyn was an actress in the 1930’s and 40’s in Hollywood. I found a LA Times news paper article dated 1936 about Evelyn Venable receiving a 200 year old grandfather clock from the Estate of her Grandfather William Henry Venable.

William Henry Venable was an author from Ohio and the clock came with letters from William Henry Venable to Evelyn’s father Emerson dated 1900 to 1904 and many photo’s of Evelyn and her family.
View attachment 651546
You just got a dial, not the rest of the clock??

RM

Rex Franklin

Nov 17, 2020
I have the complete tall clock. It is so dirty with dust from an unpaved country road. The estate was vacant since 1993 there was a quarter of an inch of dust on top of the hood. I haven't started clean the case or movement I want to be very careful.

Rex Franklin

Nov 17, 2020
Nearer a 100 years old in 1936. The dial is a little uncommon in having painted decoration inside the chapter ring, other than that it is a nicely painted dial 30 hour longcase. You may find a dialmaker's mark on the back of the dial or the falseplate if it has one.
When I get to cleaning the movement I will check the back of the dial. I was thinking the samething that maybe it was dated around 1820 to 1840. Thanks for the tip.

Rex Franklin

Nov 17, 2020
That should be Cumberland not Cumbrland
Sorry about that
Les, no problem. As a newbie watch and clock collector I want to thank you for the information on Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World book. I found a used copy to added to my library.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Manton
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller