My New Vintage Watch Website: Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Robert Stokes, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Stokes

Robert Stokes Registered User

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Friends,

I have been collecting mechanical wristwatches for about 10 years, and just launched a website to share my collection with others. Its called "Time Capsule -- Vintage Personalized Watches & The Stories They Tell".

I have collected about 40 watches with inscriptions, and fully document the history and provenance of their original owner. Most of them are military or athletes watches, although I have watches from businessmen, aviators, and even a 1930s gangster. I have returned three of the military watches to their owners / families.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think: www.timecapsule-watch.com

Time Capsule Home Page.jpg

Thanks!

Bob

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love this! I have done similar research on many of my inscribed watches but have not been energetic enough to share the results in such an organized and accessible manner.

3. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry -- Great to hear from you! I live in Carpinteria, and just joined the Ventura Chapter last week (I have been in contact with Ernest Jenson). I look forward to being an active member as soon as we can start discussing Corona Beer instead of Corona Virus!!!! Please feel free to give me a call if you have a chance -- 856-761-4117

Thanks!

Bob

4. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    #4 Adam Harris, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    Hi
    Its a nice start indeed.
    I think you should give acknowledgement to Patek Philippe for what is their slogan: "
    You never actually own a watch..."You merely look after it for the next generation"

Or you may prefer mine"
    "Owning a Vintage watch is fantastic, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"

You may or may not know, I researched the beginning of the wristwatch and installed as a guest wristwatch curator with the a stip-end from GALLET, the first permanent wristwatch display, called - "The History of The Wristwatch; 1900 to Present"

You should take a look, I have a lot of photos too.

Its an AWESOME subject - Have Fun
    Adam

5. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My scam alert went crazy when I tried to visit the site. Just sayin'... Maybe somebody tried to hack the site, Robert.

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ditto!

I have written articles about some of the positives of the "internet" on watch collecting. I remember vividly trying to sell or trade a wrist or pocket watch at a mart only to have it devalued by the engraving on it. Especially long inscriptions. One quote I remember well "Nice Patek but value is minimal because of the "book" (long inscription) on the back".

When the internet came around, I was often able to easily find the person who owned it especially with gold watches since it took a man of means to buy one or a speical man (or woman) to have been presented one. This enable me to maximize collectors interest and valuation as well.

Love it!

Jeffrey P. Hess

Jerry Treiman likes this.
  7. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Robert Stokes, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Adam --

Thank you for your feedback! I did add back a "thank you" to Patek Philippe on my Home Page...... Can you provide the URL so that I could review your "History of the Wristwatch"?

Bob

8. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the information. I just went to my site --and I didn't have any problems.... it's a domain registered thru WIX.....please let me know if you still have problems, & I will contact WIX..

Bob

9. Robert Stokes

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff --

Thank you for your positive response! The incredible expansion of Internet data -- and especially Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com -- has made researching the provenance of watches & their owners possible. As noted in the "About Time Capsule" section of my web site, only a tiny percentage of "inscription" watches have a story to tell -- but when they do, the amount of information can be amazing!

The quality of engraving on my watches varies tremendously -- from a soldier just scratching his name & Army service number on the back, to elaborately-engraved presentations. Your comments about people not wanting a Patek because of the inscription is similar to the historic automobile collectors. You have the "trailer queens" that have been completely restored for Concours d'Elegance -- and retain very little of their originality. But now you have the "Preservation Class", where being 100% original & untouched becomes paramount. When I am considering buying, the most important thing is its "provenance" -- not the watch's condition. The more worn it is (and having the original watch strap), the more valuable. The person who took the time & expense to engrave his watch really used it!

It gave me great satisfaction to return the three WW2 watches to either the original owner (Louis Cinfici), or to their families (Chikara Masuda & the Holux watch). I am planning on returning as many of these watches as I can.

Thanks!

Bob

10. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is what I get. It says the site is safe though.

Scam Insight: Personal Information Risk
    https://www.timecapsule-watch.com/
    This site is safe, but…
    It asks for personal information and is not well established with the Norton Community. Use caution when entering any of your information on this site. Visit Norton to learn more about personal information risk on Web sites.