My New Old Macbook Pro 17 inch

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Omexa, Dec 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, this is what I did this morning; I made a Working 17 inch Macbook Pro out of 2 that I got for nothing; total cost AU$53.00 for a SSD Hard Drive. I am not going to sell this one and I will be keeping this one for myself. Regards Ray

1.JPG 2.JPG

PatH, John Cote and musicguy like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Nice!

Rob

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good work Ray! It is nice to see people saving a bit older technology. Not trying to one-up you here Ray, your post just prompted me to add this to our collective knowledge base in case, others have not considered it.

A while back I equipped a quite old desktop with a new 1 TB SSD, added a 2 TB SSD backup drive, and added a 42" 4K tv as a monitor These TVs are quite cheap today and the 4K resolution is now gone to 8K in the newer versions and I think I have heard 16 K is under development. But, the 4K offers an astounding resolution, most of our digital cameras offer quite high resolution and when photos are blown up on the big screen it is remarkable the detail that can be seen when good photos are taken. The other screen seen here is 27", so what with the 42" my not so good eyesight is no longer a good excuse. And some programs I can look at many pages on the same screen.

And thanks Ray for reminding me of a need to post regarding my current computer. I had intended to post the large screen idea sometime back and then forgot about it I guess.

20191220_110024.jpg 20191220_111346.jpg

PatH and Omexa like this.
  4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, I use Computers for lots of things; I have 2 Servers a IBM X3500 and a Sunfire X4450 Sun Fire X4450 - Xeon X7350 2.93 GHz - Monitor : none. Series Specs which I use every now and again. I have an Asus ROG Laptop with 32GB of Ram and I use a HP server as a TV and Movie Computer. I buy and sell s/hand Computers to finance my Pocket Watch habit. Regards Ray

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty cool, Ray. Great to see you back!

Omexa likes this.
  6. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray,
    Good to know about your computer interests. My first computer was a Xerox 820, 64K memory, 64K processor. I worked for Xerox, then Centronics, followed by Compaq, and finally retired from HP, so I spent a lot of time with computers. I know surprisingly little about them any more.

Omexa likes this.
  7. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, my first Computer was a Mac Plus when I was at University UTAS. I think that Graham either worked for Xerox or used a Xerox. Regards Ray

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 gmorse, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Hi Ray,

I did work for Xerox, and when I first joined the company in 1986 we all used Star (6085) workstations; quite a revelation to someone used to IBM mainframes!

Regards,

Graham

Omexa likes this.
  9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The computer I learned to program on was the MIT Lincoln Laboratories Linc Computer built from PDP7 modules and sporting a set of analog laboratory interfaces. I used it in 1964. Two years later I bought a Linc-8 dual processor computer for UCLA Medical School's Physiology Department. In 1969 West Virginia Heart Association bought me a PDP12 to use in my research on biophysics of muscle mechanics

The first computer I had a chance to explore was the Midwest Research Center in Kansas City's Pipeline computer which was a large vacuum tube analog computer with as I recall about 1200 analog amplifiers. It was programmed with plug in cables to solve municipal sewage and water supply problems. It was also equipped with roller skates for the technicians to travel around in the service area and replace the analog units as they burned out. I visited that one in 1953.

Omexa likes this.
  10. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love this model of MBP, and in fact not too long ago picked up a 17" 3,1(late 2007) with a high-res(1920x1200) display.

One thing to be aware of is that there were problems with the nVidia chipset used in the 3,1 and 4,1(early 2008) models that can cause them to self destruct. It was not a Mac specific problem, but was made worse by Apple sometimes insisting that computers run on the bleeding edge of reasonable temperature to keep fan noise low. On these models in particular, I like using a program like Macsfancontrol or iStat Menus to run the fans a bit faster than Apple intended and consequently keep things a bit cooler.

Apple DID eventually start replacing logic boards under warranty with "permanently fixed" one. The ones so repaired have a green dot next to the RAM slots. There are also a few folks who can do the same fix aftermarket for around $100USD.

11. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ben, these old MacBook Pros certainly are very good; The Battery holds a charge; never a problem with it; even after I "Hotted' it up. Regards Ray

2.jpg 2.jpg

1.jpg