My new LFS clock.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by eddiesolo, Jan 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. eddiesolo

eddiesolo Registered User
    Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 eddiesolo, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Hello guys, this is my first post, will go and introduce myself properly in the members section.

I am Si and I have always had an interest in mechanical clocks, watches-something about the engineering I suppose. However, I have never owned one, mainly down to the costings of a good working old clock. I have managed to secure a beautiful-to me-oak cased Westminster chime large mantel clock. She is just so beautiful and a bargain at £30 ($43 dollars approx).

A lovely patina, and a mellow tone. she took sometime to set up, I have had to use a couple of pennies under the feet to get her to work properly, she kept stopping after five minutes or so, now she ticks (the beat is spot on) perfectly and is keeping good time.

So, I thought I would share my first oldie mechanical clock, reckon she dates from around the 1920's ish but unsure.

P1168275_zps1ibrjjxb.gif

P1168276_zpsl0drjffx.gif

P1168274_zpsndjstvru.gif

P1168277_zpsimkdghyy.gif

_57%205_zpsrfbcepze.gif

_57%206_zps4pxrfw77.gif

_57%207_zpsbshktnq7.gif

_57%208_zpsipmv4isd.gif

_57%204_zps6z1r2hik.gif

Regards.

Si:)

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #2 JTD, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Welcome to the board!

Thank you for sharing your clock - it is indeed nice and you got it for a very good price. It is useful to know that the springs' barrels can be removed without dismantling the movement (this is what the oval plate on the back is telling you).

German Patent No. 273703 dates to 1913/14 and deals with the self-regulating quarter chimes. The French patent dates to the same year and deals with the removable spring barrels. The records for the DRGMs are mostly destroyed.

This may be your first clock but I can almost guarantee it won't be your last!

JTD

3. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you JTD for you information, really helpful. I didn't think it was that old, surprised me.

I never thought I would get it for that price, others I have seen have been a lot more. I love the simplicity of it and the carving, looks hand done not machined, it is rather large too. It stands 17.5 inches high and 12.5 inches wide, a rather imposing piece on the sideboard. As I stated, I know hardly anything about vintage clocks but thought this maybe a office or townhall type piece due to its size rather than a house type, probably wrong.

I would love more clocks, but the missus is not too keen...she doesn't get them, may have to buy and bite the bullet lol.

Again all my thanks.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #4 JTD, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    The patent dates on your clock are of course only the dates the patents were issued, so the clock can't be earlier than 1914 but the company would have carried on with the same patents well after that date. If I had to guess, I would say your clock dates from the early 1920s.

Lorenz Furtwängler Söhne (LFS) was a well known German company and their clocks were of high quality. Unfortunately they did not survive the economic crisis and the company was liquidated in 1932. To have a clock of this quality, with Westminster movement, for £30 is an amazingly good buy - you were very, very lucky!

I still think you'll end up with some more clocks.............they are addictive!

JTD

5. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, interesting thanks for that. Yeah, I should have known really, saying that, did they ever date stamp mechanisms?

It does have a small amount of damage to one foot, but that could be repaired and does not cause issues regarding how it sits, maybe this was why it was cheap.

Out of interest, and I know it would be a ballpark figure, what would I be looking at for something this size in this condition? As you say I am a very lucky boy and I know it, will have to get saving up if I want anymore.

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a solid, well made movement. Amazing for what you paid!

Ron

7. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Ron, hopefully she will last me a few years. Certainly is amazing, I am very fortunate for the money I paid.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, some makers did date mark their clocks, Junghans had a simple date code which is very helpful, and some others can be dated from their serial numbers. As far as I know, there are no such records for LFS.

As to value, I am afraid we are not allowed to discuss values, although there is another part of this message board where you can, for a small fee, make such an enquiry.

JTD

9. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought that some had date marks but couldn't remember. So thank you for that.

Righto, thank you for that. Not that I am going to sell, was just an idle thought really.

10. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User
    Sponsor

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I forgot that it mentioned the non-value on the forum page, apologies for that.

- - - Updated - - -

It was this link that I initially saw, interesting reading.

Thanks Chris.

12. eddiesolo

Donor

Jan 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi guys, have redone the images via the site and not Photobucket as in the original first post.

Have read that this way you can save and have a catalogue of clocks without the original pics disappearing.

P1168274 33.jpg P1168275.jpg P1168276.jpg P1168277.jpg

$_57 (4).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57 (7).JPG $_57 (8).JPG