• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

my new JUF

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
got this the other day from a private seller.He claimed that this clock has been in his family since it was new.A repair tag under the top piece bears the date of 1986,at which time the clock was "Repaired for 60,-DM". The Brasilian onyx without a chip,a ding or a dang,no blemishes at all,so are the four bevelled glasses.The plated brass parts show their age,but nothing more.The dial is beautifull,the colors fresh and full of contrast.The SS seems to be the original bronze,with contemporary blocks and fork.All blued skrews are blue,not scratched nor mangled,and the mvmt. runs after a full smooth winding and beat setting,loosing 5min in the first 24hours with ca 360° rotation. The whole beast stands about 38cm high. Ser.No. 139180
I like it.
Burkhard

DSCN2255.jpg DSCN2256.jpg DSCN2261.jpg DSCN2262.jpg DSCN2263.jpg DSCN2265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Nice. One starts to wonder just how many different designs there are :)

At first I thought the brown on top was tarnished brass and I thought "he's got a polishing job ahead of him there".

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Thanks for Your comments.Any idea of the year of its birth?
Burkhard

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
My data says 1922. Very interesting case, never seen one like that before and definitely not in the JUF 1910 catalogue.

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice one Burkhard, once again another great find, i know you will enjoy this one.:)

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
got this the other day from a private seller.He claimed that this clock has been in his family since it was new.A repair tag under the top piece bears the date of 1986,at which time the clock was "Repaired for 60,-DM". The Brasilian onyx without a chip,a ding or a dang,no blemishes at all,so are the four bevelled glasses.The plated brass parts show their age,but nothing more.The dial is beautifull,the colors fresh and full of contrast.The SS seems to be the original bronze,with contemporary blocks and fork.All blued skrews are blue,not scratched nor mangled,and the mvmt. runs after a full smooth winding and beat setting,loosing 5min in the first 24hours with ca 360° rotation. The whole beast stands about 38cm high. Ser.No. 139180
I like it.
Burkhard
Burkhard, congratulations! Here's a little story:

When you posted your new find, I thought that I recognized having documented one with a similar case a while back. Checked my database and sure enough there it was with serial number 159190 with the same case design. When I looked in my photo archive, however, it was obvious from the very colorful Brazilian onyx used for the unique pyramid-shape capital that it was in fact the same identical case! Digging deeper, I had another look at the relatively poor quality photos I had of the movement, and realized that it was in fact the SAME clock with serial number 139180, "not" 159190. I thought to myself, "Well, we meet again!!"

My archive data for this clock was taken from an eBay auction in March 2010, so the clock has been "out of circulation" for about 5-1/2 years and happily now is your pride and joy. It also is the only one with this case design I have documented to date although surely there were more of them made.

My dating info shows your clock was made about mid-1914, not long before the advent of WWI. Les mentioned 1922, and I recall that some of my early efforts did show this serial number being after WWI. However, in the past couple of years we were able to confirm several patents granted in 1913-1914 with at least three being found on clocks with serial numbers in the 135xxx to 142xxx range, as well as some dated presentation plaques in the same range that resulted in a fairly major shift of those serial numbers from being after the war to actually being pre-WWI manufacture. This also shifted the data from end 1909 to 1913 with a higher production in those years than had been shown before. This exercise also resulted in the conclusion that JUF "did" almost completely stop making 400-Day clocks from early 1915 and almost to the end of 1918 as had been reported by Terwilliger in the Repair Guide. This shift did not change the "end date" when JUF stopped using serial numbers; that is still about the time they restructured to become Jahresuhren-Fabrik G.m.b.H. August Schatz & Söhne in first half 1923.

The only question I have is whether the No. 39 JUF 4-Ball pendulum is stamped with the patent DRGM 403658 underneath? This clock was made during the period when that patent was still valid so it "should" have the stamp.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
John and all,thank You for Your comments,and John for the story.There is a saying in Germany that You allways meet twice in life,so this is true in this case.Yes,the pendulum has DRGM403658 stamped into the lower connecting cross of the pendulum.So it's not a "one of a kind",but the only one documented up to now?
Burkhard

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
sitting in a row...
Burkhard

Attachments

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
John and all,thank You for Your comments,and John for the story.There is a saying in Germany that You allways meet twice in life,so this is true in this case.Yes,the pendulum has DRGM403658 stamped into the lower connecting cross of the pendulum.So it's not a "one of a kind",but the only one documented up to now?
Burkhard
Burkhard, thanks for the pendulum info. That pretty much confirms the clock was made before WWI, since the DRGM expired in 1915. There "are" clocks made after WWI that are found with this pendulum stamp, I suspect JUF made more than they needed before the war and some carried over and were used later.

At the moment your clock appears to be "one of a kind", but actually it's the only one documented so far as you noted.

Great display! Is that a harpsichord I see in the background being used for a clock bench? :whistle:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
John and Kurt,thanks for Your interest.Re Kurt's question about the Big weight driven clock:it is this one https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?39648-Wanna-see-mine
And for John's sharp eyes:Yes,it is our copy of an early 18th cent two manual four stop harpsicord after H.Chr. Zell 1728.It is the masterpiece of an-at that time-young german harpsicord builder,actualy a friend of mine.It's a wonderfull instrument and the joy of pastime both for me and my better half.The corpus is cherry,partly ebonized,the keys bone and yew,and the interior is inlayed with ivory,ebony and wallnut.

Burkhard

DSCN2275.jpg DSCN2271.jpg DSCN2274.jpg DSCN2273.jpg

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Burkhard, congratulations on having such an amazing and wonderful instrument!! I have a very good friend who worked for the same company as me that I first met in Brussels in the '70's. He also builds harpsichords from scratch and I really enjoyed visiting his home for a private audience as well as to play one of his . . I play piano and found the harpsichord to be quite a challenge to get the right touch. And yours being two manual I think would be beyond my capabilities! My personal instrument is a 1932 Wurlitzer baby grand of which I am the second owner since 1962, had it professionally restored 12 years ago and it is a joy to play.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brunettis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit