My "new" Gustav Becker

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by whatgoesaround, Jul 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Always wanted one of these. I would prefer the complete shield dial, but this one still makes me happy. I got it a few weeks ago and I only had to hang the suspension and adjust and off she went. I am about to start a tear down and cleaning. For the records, the serial # is 2141180. What year would that make it? In the pics you might notice the suspension guard and the bracket appear more golden than the dirty movement. It is like some gold wash or something. Is this normal or should I go ahead and strip down to the brass? I recognized the suspension cover as Becker and the bracket and saddle is Becker, #7, in the guide, so they are not some hybrid from another clock. Thanks for the help in advance. IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2141.JPG

Dave T likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a BHA-marked but Becker made clock. Check out other BHA clocks here. Neat the end of that thread is another BHA which is very close in number to yours.

Post Your BHA Logo (by Becker) 400-Day Clocks Here

The serial number puts the date in March 1910 according to John's numbering. You should be able to clean the brass up as usual.

Kurt

3. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt, yeah, I knew it was a BHA. I appreciate the date. The base, under all the grime, seems to have this gold wash type covering to it, too. I am reluctant to clean all the way to the brass until someone lets me know there was never any unusual finish and this is some paint someone put on because they were too lazy to clean it. Even the underneath part of the base is bright, but with a slightly richer hue than polished bras when the. inner parts are removed.