• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

My new Eli Terry treasure

Rodney Wilbert

Feb 28, 2018
Country
Hi all. I just wanted to share my Eli Terry what I believe is referred to as a double decker column and splat. I fell for wood work movements while I was working on a customers Eli Terry. Got the bug and found this one for $130.00. I haven't fired it up yet, no time but thought I would pick the brains of the experts here for more info. Looking at the label it shows it was printed by Goodwin and Co which I believe dates it to 1830. A few questions. First, I'm assuming the tablet has been repainted due to how nice it is, the columns are painted gold. Not sure if they are to be. I have seen tons of column and splats on line with stenciled columns. Another question is are there to be finials on top and also feet of any kind. Someone has tacked black rubber on each corner so I can't see witness marks of any kind however I do see holes on the top for possibly finials. Also I happen to think the second hand has been replaced. Trying to do research of "Double Deckers" comes up with very few examples for me to compare. Any and all advise and critiques will be greatly appreciated View attachment 525799 20190329_190916.jpg
20190329_190956.jpg 20190329_191049.jpg

20190329_190852.jpg

Reactions: KWN

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Wow, awesome clock, so envious. Its a first for me to see a seconds chapter on a wood works shelf clock, very nice.

Rodney Wilbert

Feb 28, 2018
Country
Thanks guys. even though I am FAR from being an expert on this type of clock, or any clock for that matter, I thought also that having the second hand on a wood movement was kinda unique, not to mention the condition it is in. If the tablet and columns are original I would venture to say that all the previous owners treasured it, as I will.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
There is an excellent NAWCC supplement, #19, by Bryan Rogers and Snowden Taylor entitled Eight Day Wood Movement Shelf Clocks, Their Cases, Their Movements, Their Makers. You could find more about your clock, and similar ones, there.

Reactions: Rodney Wilbert

Rodney Wilbert

Feb 28, 2018
Country
Hey, No problem RM. Thats why I posted it on here to get any feedback, positive or negative

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Rodney, can you post a front and back full view of just the tablet. I agree with RM it is not original nor correct to clock. but an interesting style of work. is there a signature any where? joe

RM do you have any examples for Rodney of what is more appropriate?

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Rodney, can you post a front and back full view of just the tablet. I agree with RM it is not original nor correct to clock. but an interesting style of work. is there a signature any where? joe

RM do you have any examples for Rodney of what is more appropriate?
Let me plow through my pix and see what I can turn up.

RM

Reactions: Rodney Wilbert