My New Black Slate French Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ClockFanatic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClockFanatic

ClockFanatic Registered User

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone,

Just grabbed a black slate clock. It was retailed by J. W. Benson (Ludgate, London). Through the movement I believe it's a French movement wit bell striking. At the back there is a stamp of AD. MOUGIN DEUX MEDAILLES with no series 41278. If anyone can share any information about the movement like date of manufactured is really appreciated.

I want to ask about the suspension spring because I need to replace it with new one. A bit weird with original suspension spring that came with the clock (got bent and a bit twisted) because it's formed with a piece of plastic. As I know it's normally made with a piece or 2 piece of steel. The question is which one should I buy one piece of steel or 2 lines (pieces) type of suspension? Or dimension is more important? Below are some of photos.
    Thank you.

J W Benson (1)edit.jpg J W Benson (6) edit.jpg J W Benson (7)edit.jpg J W Benson (8) edit.jpg J W Benson (9) edit.jpg

J W Benson (1)edit.jpg J W Benson (6) edit.jpg J W Benson (7)edit.jpg J W Benson (8) edit.jpg J W Benson (9) edit.jpg

Love clocks likes this.
  2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock. Sadly little seems to be known about Mougin other than he was a maker of roulants in Herimoncourt and was a contemporary of Japy and Marti and is regarded as a quality maker, he also had an address in Paris, Rue de Turenne 75. While not as common place as either Japy or Marti his mark appears on quite a number of movements. I've not come across any specific dates for when he won any awards but presumably he won at least two somewhere or other and he is mentioned in an article from 1889 related to the Paris Exposition Universelle of the same year.

As for the Brocot suspension spring my understanding is they have two strips, replacements are available with either brass or plastic ends, the former look nicer. The length is important only in that the effective length of the pendulum includes the length of the suspension spring that is visible when it clears the suspension block. I note this movement doesn't indicate the pendulum length on the back plate but I presume you have the original pendulum. HTH.

3. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jonathan for the details. I just ordered one suspension that has the same size as the original came with the clock. About the pendulum I'm really sure it's original pendulum or not. But there is a serial number on it as shown in below.

All parts are in good working order and the bell ringing very nice. This is my first striking clock using bell. Other three are using gong coil and Westminster chiming.

J W Benson (10)edit.jpg

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    great clock!Congrats!I like the Brocot escapement more that the usual anchor!And the case looks verry nice.It has a bit of a british appeal and N.Thorpe states that the english had their own black marble and made their own cases,often equipped with french mvmts.Maybe that´s one of them.
    Burkhard

5. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your suspension spring should look roughly like the one below. Dimensions: ~1-1/8" long, 3/16" wide. Nice clock. Original pendulum should have a matching number to that stamped into the movement.

2012_0127FrenchSuspension0001.jpg 2012_0127FrenchSuspension0002.jpg

6. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think have ordered the right suspension spring. it got 26mm long and 5mm wide. And seems like the pendulum is not the original because the serial number is different from the one stamped on the movement. but hopefully it works well with the clock. Generally the case is in good condition apart from a marble column has broken and glued back together.

7. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Burkhard. It is a nice clock indeed. Simple design but tidy and nice looking. Bought it at £20 which I think very very rare to come up at this price.

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You stole it, well done. :thumb:

9. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jonathan.. Just changed the suspension spring and now it's in working order...:).. But yes the movement needs service. I wish I can do it myself. I can open and clean but not assemble the movement :confused:.....

10. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Burkhard Rasch, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    as You´ve probably heard these are not the ideal ones to start with.Allthough I´m used to service my 400dayers and german time/strike mvmts.myself I give the french roulantes to my clocksmith.Too afraid to break a pivot!

BTW as we´ve learned in various discussions especialy by Laprade these clocks are made of black marble,impregnated with coaly waters,not slate.The correct term is carnivorous -no :carboniferous limestone afaik :)
    Burkhard

11. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These material sometimes quite confusing as someone said it's a Belgium Granite?? something like that. It's not as hard as marble. Therefore, it's easily to get chip and discolouration if not maintained with waxed and polished.

12. ClockFanatic

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

These material sometimes quite confusing as someone said it's a Belgium Granite?? something like that. It's not as hard as marble. Therefore, it's easily to get chip and discolouration if not maintained with waxed and polished.

13. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well we learned that laprade thinks that, not everyone else does.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Terminal Manager
    Nashville, TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just saw that you may have a clock very similar to one I just inherited. I was wondering how you clean and maintain the exterior. As you mentioned, it is very finicky so I was wondering what products/materials you use to maintain it.