My New 40 lbs. French Slate S. Marti clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Robert Ryan, Sep 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Purchased from an online marketplace.....disassembled with no pendulum, and top slate loose. This S. Marti & Cie, Medialle De Bronze, clock with open escapement has been an enjoyable clock to bring to life. I found a pendulum online...just came today and clock is ticking...it will take some time to see about its regulation.

In any event, the strike on gong, on the hour and half hour is pleasant. Still not sure if I am happy with the slate showing some gray spots and a faint stain from some object being placed on it...but mechanically it appears to be fine. One thing is for sure....I won't be moving it often.

IMG_3543.jpeg IMG_3566.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg 67920770_10217667542912750_8117485732718706688_N.jpeg

Love clocks and Chris Radano like this.
  2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great! The good thing about the movement is it should tell you what length pendulum it needs.

3. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I believe it requires a pendulum of about 5 inches...which I was able to find online. Right now the running clock is gaining time, but there is plenty of adjustment to correct for that. I am really enjoying the Brocot open escapement.

4. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Black Slate Clock 23 - Small and Whitfield.JPG
    We also have a Big Bertha with a visible escapement...beautiful clocks. A regular rub with linseed oil keeps the black looking good and doesn't collect too much dust if you rub it in properly.

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice find your French clocks, i really like the black slate, and thanks too for the linseed tip, love clocks.

Love clocks likes this.
  6. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the linseed oil tip. Been thinking about refreshing the gold decor ....this clock also uses silver in what I will call the leaves in the decor. Very hard to tell in the photo. Anyway something to ponder.

IMG_3608.jpeg

Love clocks likes this.
  7. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Black Slate Clock 1 - Louisa Marketplace.jpg
    Yes, I debated doing this myself with Bertha but I don't have very steady hands. This is our other slate one. The gold inlays on this one are in good condition and it makes a lot of difference to the appearance.

8. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    The Mrs. is an artist...so if I tried and failed ...she could come to my rescue....once again.

Still pondering.....

~B

9. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I redid the gold coloured insets on mine some time ago. I used gold paint for it and painted outside the edges, then ran a very sharp blade across the top and it came out really good.

pic6 before and after.jpg

Love clocks likes this.
  10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, what a difference!

Uhralt

11. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Indeed it did... looks awesome ... you have given me motivation to give it a try. Any tip on what paint to use? Thanks

Love clocks likes this.
  12. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    And thanks the wise folks on this forum, I was able to make the slate shine and the gold come back to life.
    I over painted the decoration and razor bladed the excess off.... and applied linseed oil to bring back the shine. I am pleased with the results.
    The movement has been keeping accurate time for a couple days, up to this point. Thank you, markiemark and Love Clocks.

IMG_3614.jpeg

Love clocks, musicguy, gleber and 2 others like this.
  13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Nice job - well done!

JTD

Robert Ryan likes this.
  14. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 Burkhard Rasch, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    verry impressive clock,congrats! Just to ad what´s being said allready : if You have to move the clock never grab it with Your fingers "under the roof" but allways by the bottom part.These cases are assembled of various parts hold together by plaster and iron clamps.The plaster often becomes brittle over the time and the iron wires are prone to rust , and the cases are heavy , so it could happen that You find only the top part lifting and the case desintegrated.
    Best
    Burkhard

15. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    My plan is not move it anymore....I did weigh it and yes it does weigh in a 40 lbs. Good advice, thanks.

16. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Working on this S. Marti...I let down the springs and when I went to wind them it felt like both the time and strike mainspring had become unhooked from either the arbor or barrel. Today I opened the time barrel to this unexpected scene. Interesting challenge for a complete rookie.

IMG_3901.jpeg

17. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    This is the strike mainspring .....odd breakage....pulled out many segments.....once again not what I might have expected to see.

IMG_3904.jpeg IMG_3907.jpeg

18. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It looks rusty, almost as if someone tried cleaning it without taking the spring out of the barrel and the cleaning fluid remained.

JTD

Robert Ryan likes this.
  19. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Very rusty....what now amazes me is that the clock actually ran and struck....though it did often stop. Looking forward to having run with new mainsprings.