value American German Modern My mother in law's clock values (Image Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curator comment:
Classification added

helldan211

Jan 2, 2018
Long Island NY
Country
Hi Everyone! My mother in law is moving and is looking to get a ballpark value for some of her clocks. Some were made by her father's company in the 60's or 70's I'm thinking. Any ballpark information would be super helpful. I don't want her to be taken advantage of because she doesn't know. Thank you so much.

Dan

IMG_5735.jpg IMG_5736.jpg IMG_5737.jpg IMG_5738.jpg IMG_5739.jpg IMG_5741.jpg IMG_5742.jpg IMG_5744.jpg IMG_5745.jpg IMG_5746.jpg IMG_5747.jpg IMG_5748.jpg IMG_5750.jpg IMG_5751.jpg IMG_5752.jpg IMG_5753.jpg IMG_5754.jpg IMG_5755.jpg IMG_5756.jpg

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
100 each for the Grandfather clocks. 150 for the Mantle clock.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Is there a company name on the catalog?

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
100 each for the Grandfather clocks. 150 for the Mantle clock.
Hi,

In the present state of the market, it is wise to be cautious, but the estimates suggested above are low. Are you looking for a quick sale or can you afford to wait?

I agree about the first, about $100-120 US, the second has a Chinoiserie style case some will find appealing, so it could bring $300-400 on Ebay. The third, made in a sort of Japanese style, $200-300. The bracket clock would fetch $250-300 (it looks to be triple chime and of generous size), perhaps a little more, on Ebay once again. This is if all the clocks are fully working and in excellent condition, as they look to be.

Regards.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Do know that if you want to sell these tall cases, shipping is near impossible, so you will need to rely on local pickup options.

The current market on tall cases are very low, even on higher end ones.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
What am I doing that’s hindering others disagreement?
I agree with you, Salsa.

It looks to me like you added two important facts - tall case clocks can be expensive to ship and the market for tall case clocks is depressed, especially when compared to ten to fifteen years ago.

I did not interpret your response as argumentative or defensive.

Regards.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I agree with you, Salsa.
It looks to me like you added two important facts - tall case clocks can be expensive to ship and the market for tall case clocks is depressed, especially when compared to ten to fifteen years ago.
I did not interpret your response as argumentative or defensive.
Regards.
i disagree. everyone here gets to offer their opinion… but look at the difference between how you and salsa expressed the same thoughts.

sorry, salsa… while your clock passions are great and right up there with everyone else’s, you’re still a kid. you may know a lot about clocks, but you are years behind almost everyone here when it comes to life experiences and communication… and don’t even know what you don’t know yet…

i think the message you’re still missing is: a little more respect for your elders, pls? all it would take would be a slight softening of those absolute pronouncements. the goal is to have people respond to your posts, not react.

of course, all of that is just my opinion! :)

-

Reactions: rgmt79

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Something doesn't seem right with the bracket clock. The way the chime rods are propped up by 2 pieces of stacked plywood and the fact that the face of the clock does not have a cut out to accept the chime selection lever on the movement screams that the movement is likely unoriginal, and the original movement might have just been Westminster only. If the clock had chime selection from only the rear side of the movement, then there would be some label/indication of which lever positions correspond to the chime tune (I'm not seeing anything). The hammers are also bent downwards, likely since the plywood pieces did not prop up the rod block high enough for the new movement.

Just my $0.02.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hello Dan,

I'm not so sure about the Bracket Clock. It has a Hermle movement, and many of their movements were made to be replaced so it's possible that the original was replaced with another Hermle. I think that I may see a chime selection lever to the far right of the dial's III. The lever from the movement side looks like it may have accommodated several case designs with a sliding handle on the lever. Again, it's hard to know for sure with the views provided. There also appears to be some solder on the back plate. Perhaps not...I think that all of the valuations were given assuming that the clocks are in good running order. Professional appraisers don't offer up opinions based on a few pictures and scant info.

Look at "Sold" eBay listings for clocks similar to yours and let the actual market guide you.

If you put the clocks up for auction, you never really know how many serious buyers will be in the market at the time of your listing(s).

Price is a function of costs and supply vs. demand. In the end, the highest price is always what the market will bear. If you're giving something of value away, though, there will always be takers.

If you have time, you may be able to find buyers willing to pay a little more. If you're in a hurry, start with a low bid point and let the buyers find you (hopefully).

Good luck,

Bruce

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The other (and perhaps more important) consideration is whether they run and when they were last serviced.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The bracket clock has an Erhard Jauch movement with triple chimes. Similar to Hermle but differs in specifications.
None of these clocks will garner high prices unless the potential buyer has some emotional connection to the maker.
They are typical woodshop clocks that were made by companies such as Kuempel, Svoboda, Viking, and others during the 60s-70s.
They all used Jauch, Kieninger, or Hermle movements of fairly low quality, making them difficult to service and repair.
There is an east Asian company assuming the name 'MOATHE' which makes clocks with similar ornamentation.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
i disagree. everyone here gets to offer their opinion… but look at the difference between how you and salsa expressed the same thoughts.

sorry, salsa… while your clock passions are great and right up there with everyone else’s, you’re still a kid. you may know a lot about clocks, but you are years behind almost everyone here when it comes to life experiences and communication… and don’t even know what you don’t know yet…

i think the message you’re still missing is: a little more respect for your elders, pls? all it would take would be a slight softening of those absolute pronouncements. the goal is to have people respond to your posts, not react.

of course, all of that is just my opinion! :)

-
Unfortunately, the original issue was not Salsa lacking respect for his elders or being a bull in a China shop with his repsonse.

The issue was two posts by a moderator (not you, Bruce) that accused Salsa of being argumentative and defensive and that Salsa's post # 6 was a negative reaction to the value given by TTT100 in post # 5.

The moderator posts (and salsa's respectful response to the posts asking what he did that was wrong) were quickly removed after I posted what is now labeled response # 7, above.

Had the moderator posts not been removed, I am not sure you would have responded as you did.

Perhaps the two moderator posts (and Salsa's response to those posts) should be restored so that the context of the conversation is much more clear.

Regards.

Last edited:

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
CCF,
I stand corrected. There are two movements in our OP's initial post. The one I was looking at was a Hermle. Quite a bit different from the Jauch...but hey, I should have been asleep at that time of the morning. :rolleyes:

It still looks like there is an adjustable Chime Selector Lever but I hesitate to comment further. We don't have enough information. We can make wild guesses but that's about it. The market will decide the price. Dan, you could post a separate Thread on each one of these clocks, or you can approach them as a Lot. It will take time to get the best possible price for each one. Unless you get lucky convenience and expediency will probably have a hidden cost.

Regards,

Bruce

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
They really do look similar at first glance and their overall 'quality' is the same. :o:)
You will recognize the Jauch as the same type Herschede used during the early 1960's during the Stark Ville years.

Correlation to the 'kitsch' phenomenon is apparent with so many working-class households desiring traditional furniture but without
the resources or time to really make things like the antiques they attempt to emulate. It was more than just a 'Tempus Fugit'.
There were a number of European brands making similar clocks including Wuba Warmink and some Italian firm I lost the name to.
These 'traditionally influenced' clocks went above and beyond what clock makers had previously offered when it came to new clocks
sporting old style looks: the biggest thing that sticks out to me are the proportions when compared to an original antique.
Despite being completely repulsive to connoisseurs of antiques, they did make good sales to the households they were aimed at.

Maybe someone more interested will write a book someday: Much Ado about Warmink. Or possibly Ridgeway Days.

C'est la vie.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Unfortunately, the original issue was not Salsa lacking respect for his elders or being a bull in a China shop with his repsonse.
Perhaps the two moderator posts (and Salsa's response to those posts) should be restored so that the context of the conversation is much more clear.
Regards.
again, disagree. there are multiple issues…. the one being discussed in the thread, and the way it was being discussed.

the moderator‘s comments were too strong, and were deleted.

salsa’s comments… not for the first time in a thread… added the other issue by triggering negative responses in others because of the contrast between the absolute tone of a young person making absolute statements and the (usually/hopefully) more considered / mature / nuanced tone of others’ posts. make absolute/authoritative statements about values and you’re going to get pushback.

because he has asked for feedback, he’s getting it. he doesn’t have to take it to heart if he doesn’t want to, but we’re a community sharing input and support… and it behooves all of us to play well w others.

i am specifically not saying he should ‘remember his place’… i am continuing a discussion that he and i have had publicly and by pm, that you and others have touched on in this and other threads, and offering a constructive criticism that requires no defense… it’s a gift, not an attack (i received the same gift when i got here and made adjustments to my preferred east coast / blunt object school of communication style so i could play better w my new peeps.) :)

again, salsa’s becoming a very knowledgeable and valued contributor, and is much appreciated.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I seem to recall receiving a "gift" or two from you too Bruce. Your serious comments are always worth consideration. Your jokes, are usually worth some chuckles. :chuckling:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
again, disagree. there are multiple issues…. the one being discussed in the thread, and the way it was being discussed.

the moderator‘s comments were too strong, and were deleted.

salsa’s comments… not for the first time in a thread… added the other issue by triggering negative responses in others because of the contrast between the absolute tone of a young person making absolute statements and the (usually/hopefully) more considered / mature / nuanced tone of others’ posts. make absolute/authoritative statements about values and you’re going to get pushback.

because he has asked for feedback, he’s getting it. he doesn’t have to take it to heart if he doesn’t want to, but we’re a community sharing input and support… and it behooves all of us to play well w others.

i am specifically not saying he should ‘remember his place’… i am continuing a discussion that he and i have had publicly and by pm, that you and others have touched on in this and other threads, and offering a constructive criticism that requires no defense… it’s a gift, not an attack (i received the same gift when i got here and made adjustments to my preferred east coast / blunt object school of communication style so i could play better w my new peeps.) :)

again, salsa’s becoming a very knowledgeable and valued contributor, and is much appreciated.
Bruce,

The issue at hand - with respect to this thread - is the moderator's interpretation of Salsa's statement regarding the cost of shipping and the value of tall case clocks in general as being retribution on the part of Salsa for someone disagreeing with Salsa's estimate of value.

I did not interpret Salsa's response as a retribution. And without the moderator's original posts, harsh or not, being restored, no one reading this thread can understand the context of the original conversation.

Does Salsa communicate in a "Twitter" type atmosphere, where brevity, even at the sake of accuracy, is foremost? Yes.

Does Salsa need to be less Twitter like and provide more explanation? Yes.

If Salsa's matter of fact opinion of value bothered anyone, should the proper response be "Salsa, can you provide more detail behind your estimates"? Yes.

However, to interpret Salsa's cost of shipping and declining values statement as retribution for someone disagreeing with his values estimates is, shall we say, an overreaction and unfair to Salsa, notwithstanding the areas that Salsa needs to "improve" upon.

Regards.

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I'm seeing some confusion here. Too many clocks and too many movements (or maybe not enough movements). One seems to think the Hermle movement belongs with the bracket clock; another seems to think the Jauch triple chime movement belongs with the bracket clock. I favor the Hermle, partly because of the catalogue illustration of the granddaughter clock stating that it has a triple chime movement. I also think I see one of the fabric side panels of the granddaughter clock in a picture of the Jauch movement. But, I'm willing to be wrong. Not my bailiwick particularly. I think we need new threads, each with one clock showing both case and movement. Otherwise, we're practically wasting everybody's time.

More problematically, there have been an inordinate number of terrifically of-topic posts discussing one or more of the "contributors" to this thread (I use the term 'contributors" advisedly). I want that sort of nonsense to stop. If it doesn't, I will close this thread to further replies, and then we can await the one-clock-only threads to continue the derailed discussions.

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Yes please split the thread into three different topics or at least rearrange the first post so all photos are in chronological order: showing each clock more concisely instead of a photo salad. Looking back at the mess of photos, the 8 hammers triple chime Jauch movement belongs to the granddaughter clock with chime selector switch - while the 5 hammers Westminster Hermle movement belongs to the bracket clock.

The Hermle movement looks much newer than the Jauch and is date coded AE.

The discussion of members and posts should be taken off-topic or even in private.
It's a waste of time to the OP who just wanted clock information and value estimates.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
I stand corrected. There are two movements in our OP's initial post. The one I was looking at was a Hermle. Quite a bit different from the Jauch...but hey, I should have been asleep at that time of the morning. :rolleyes:
I too thought that the two movements were one in the same on a very tired & quick glance - I can see I'm obviously mistaken after looking at the photos again. I kept trying to find the chime selection lever on the bracket clock, but none of the longcase clocks.

In regards to the other discussion, all I'm going to say is that when I was 14 and joined this forum, I received none of the treatment Sals has as I was learning the ropes and offering my opinions. I'll leave it at that.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hello Isaac,

I've read that one of the best indicators of intelligence is the demonstration of an ability to adapt to the environment.

Calvin is a bright young fellow with an interest in Horology. He knows he has support from many of us. He'll adapt.

I'll say this much, I'm getting a little tired of our preoccupation with the age of the poster. I think it is becoming divisive.

I've been online since 2010 and it never used to be a thing until recently.

If anything, older and more experienced members were shown more respect.

Until or unless the O.P. provides us with more detailed information on each of the clocks, I'm out.

Regards,

Bruce

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Ok, so we are not going to talk about the clocks. I'm closing this thread.

My apologies to Dan for our apparent lack of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UltraTitan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller