My latest ST Black Mantel

CTMusicStraps

Mar 5, 2021
Country
Hey There again, I’ve only posted a few times but you guys are my “Go To” when it comes to Antique and Vintage Mantel Clocks.

This clock I recently purchased from Ebay for around $78. A recently widowed lady was getting rid of her husband’s things and she informed me this clock had been purchased from an estate in the Washington DC area and taken to their home in Washington State where it sat on a shelf not working for over 30 years. No one bothered it and she only dusted it a little from time to time. It’s Date stamped by Seth Thomas on bottom as 1900. I can not make out the month letter code.

When I received it, I knew it was dry and dusty but noticed it was fully wound on the time side. I hung pendulum, adjusted the crutch on the Old model 44 Hip Movement 3 5/8 stamped and was able to get her into beat within about 5-10 minutes.

I only ran it a few hours for test, took a video and then disengaged the pendulum. Some oil managed to appear around some pivots after it ran. Since this is the most complete original Seth Thomas clock I’ve owned, ( right down to the straight steel hand pins with sharpened points ST used) I plan to disassemble everything (case and movement) , clean and restore.

I did check the escape wheel movement and found very little if any significant wear and other pivot holes at s glance looked good. I will know more when I let down springs, disassemble and with a spring winder take them down completely to clean and inspect the movement.

Some pics online suggest this to be a Black Hussar. I’m not sure only the label has Catalog no. 102 and year on bottom is 1900. I will only post BEFORE pics now. I will post after in the Repair and Restoration Forums once I am done.
CT

6E8E0DD7-BABD-486E-BF9C-79A34B24891B.jpeg B66ADB7D-3C20-4CB2-8820-E52756B04DED.jpeg 8741B5E8-7601-4B4C-B245-E8094C0D664A.jpeg

Reactions: Dave T

CTMusicStraps

Mar 5, 2021
Country
Hey There again, I’ve only posted a few times but you guys are my “Go To” when it comes to Antique and Vintage Mantel Clocks.

This clock I recently purchased from Ebay for around $78. A recently widowed lady was getting rid of her husband’s things and she informed me this clock had been purchased from an estate in the Washington DC area and taken to their home in Washington State where it sat on a shelf not working for over 30 years. No one bothered it and she only dusted it a little from time to time. It’s Date stamped by Seth Thomas on bottom as 1900. I can not make out the month letter code.

When I received it, I knew it was dry and dusty but noticed it was fully wound on the time side. I hung pendulum, adjusted the crutch on the Old model 44 Hip Movement 3 5/8 stamped and was able to get her into beat within about 5-10 minutes.

I only ran it a few hours for test, took a video and then disengaged the pendulum. Some oil managed to appear around some pivots after it ran. Since this is the most complete original Seth Thomas clock I’ve owned, ( right down to the straight steel hand pins with sharpened points ST used) I plan to disassemble everything (case and movement) , clean and restore.

I did check the escape wheel movement and found very little if any significant wear and other pivot holes at s glance looked good. I will know more when I let down springs, disassemble and with a spring winder take them down completely to clean and inspect the movement.

Some pics online suggest this to be a Black Hussar. I’m not sure only the label has Catalog no. 102 and year on bottom is 1900. I will only post BEFORE pics now. I will post after in the Repair and Restoration Forums once I am done.
CT

View attachment 659217 View attachment 659218 View attachment 659219
Oh and one more pic (still Before as it looked when I received the clock), the Hip Movement. The first before I cleaned out the cobwebs. As I said it sat on a shelf for over 30 years without any attempt by owner to get it running.

AAEDB47D-FA9B-4961-87C1-A114E7396019.jpeg 31436927-D0AB-421A-A788-125263AB7BAC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller