My latest purchase

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by beststevens, Aug 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beststevens

beststevens Registered User

Sep 7, 2011
    retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just bought this - have not received it yet so don't know much about it but the guy said it was a Anno 1640? Can anyone tell me something about this clock and does it look like all the parts are there? I don't see any weights in his picture and I'm afraid I just got dupped? I've been trying to research this but it appears there are many different kinds. Thanks for any info you can give me.
    [​IMG]

2. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Region Flag:
    Hi Beststevens :)

What you've bought is a modern replica of a (broadly speaking) 'mediaeval' clock. A time-only movement, controlled by a foliot. The photo is upside-down and, yes, the rope and weight and counter-weight seem to be missing. The clock itself seems to be complete, but only a side view could tell the tale.

Aitor

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They are a bit of fun, I've thought about having one at school in my preproom. Interesting conversation piece and amusing to watch they don't keep great time and don't run for long.

4. beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
    retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you for the info. I thought it was upside down too :) so no weight and no rope looks like it will just be a conversational piece for $100

5. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The drive should be easy enough to set up if everything else is there. We need more pictures to help with that. The rope is readily available, and you can use rocks for weights.

6. beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
    retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just asked him about the weights and rope. He said the rope was there but no weights. If I can use rocks, then maybe I'm all set. Thanks again so much for your help. This forum is awesome.

7. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

If you google wooden foliot clock you will see lots of examples, quite a few use large stones with wire hangers.

8. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you buy this on EBay? I think I was looking at this clock the other day trying to figure out how it would work.