My latest Pequegnat BERLIN mantle clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Landshark, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Landshark

Landshark Registered User

Oct 9, 2011
    Blind Bay BC, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Landshark, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0663.JPG

Got this at a 50% off sale in Toronto Queen Street last week. Pretty good shape, been ticking almost a day now. Was over oiled at some point, last service was 2010. The bezel and ring on the face was changed in 1998, bezel and convex glass from maybe an American clock, the decorative ring is same as Pequegnat's BIJOU model (has Robertson screw that will be replaced holding ring). Movement not signed but some early Pequegnats never were. Original screws and no evidence of new screw holes or any tampering so I believe movement is original to case.

Anyone have spare bezel and ring they want to sell?

Bob

woodlawndon, Dave T and Kevin W. like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock, though too bad not all original. The Robertson screw could be original, invented in Canada long ago. I have a Pequegnat gf clock with Robertson screws.

The inventor, Robertson, P. L. Robertson - Wikipedia

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice one Bob. Something about the dial doesn't look quite right to me, the font of the roman numerals maybe. The fact the minute hand extends far past the chapter ring suggests a replacement. It's a good clock worthy of looking for a suitable dial and bezel. I like these clocks too.
    Don

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Landshark

Oct 9, 2011
    Blind Bay BC, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could be right Kevin. There was some history but they never mentioned changing the dial when they changed the bezel and chapter ring. The dial is celluloid and appears original but who knows. Pequegnat did slap on dials that were not always correct. I have compared the font of the roman numerals and the markings and noticed they don't match other BERLIN models. I have a few Berlin pre 1916 in my collection and have noted they may have used up dials from other stock.

I will likely end up buying another to make this one correct. I knew it was not correct when I bought it, but the case, movement and label where just to nice to pass up.

Bob

6. Landshark

Oct 9, 2011
    Blind Bay BC, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin W. likes this.