My latest aquisition - Sunbeam Mantel Clock ?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by SPEAMY, May 21, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SPEAMY

SPEAMY Registered User

Dec 6, 2012
    Self Emplyed Antique Dealer, Carpenter & Part qual
    Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi everyone :)

I just picked this up and just wanted to share, it is very unusual, it is fully working, It chimes well with Westminster etc the body is in solid condition but needs re laminating on the top and back to bring it back to its full deserved former glory.

There are no makers marks at all On this Clock except for being marked foreign on the back of the mechanism and on the number ring which I think indicates that it is German but im not 100%

Has anyone had one of these or does anyone have an idea as to who made this and also what the shape is actually called, ive searched google for hours & checked through every book I own twice but cant get any information on it, thanks so much in advance :D
    1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:
  2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The Art Deco case is most interesting. I don't believe I've ever seen such a "daring" concept for a
    Westminster chime clock. A good example of Art-Deco in the extreme.

A Westmister chime melody is "all-wrong" for this clock. A more appropriate melody of the 20's would be something the Tommy Dorsey, the Andrew Sisters or the Mills Brothers era.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I think the 1920's is too early for these groups. However, the clock may well be from the 1930's. It looks like a tambour that had a bad, art-deco hair day.:whistle:

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    LOL.

Agree with 1930's, Deco or its related movement, Streamline Design, which was used for all sorts of household objects.

Sort of an interesting concept. The case is a stylized streaking comet with the clock face in the tail. Nice use of inlays and attractive veneers. I like how Art Deco and related Streamline design gives a sense of movement when the object stands still. I think that's achieved here, too.

Not bad!

RM