My Hanson Clock Mfg Westminster Chime Grandfather Clock Question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by zjaya28, Jul 23, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. zjaya28

zjaya28 Registered User

Jul 23, 2011
    I just inherited this clock. It tells time exactly, pendulum works fine, but it used to chime and it does not now. Have I broken it? Anyone who knows how I can reset to get this chiming on the hours and quarter hands like it used to would really be a lifesaver...I hope it doesn't need to be recalibrated now.

Thanks for any input!

Zach

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome, Zach

Please post photos of movement so we can see what is happening.

Will

3. zjaya28

zjaya28 Registered User

Jul 23, 2011
    I am newer to clocks. Not sure what u mean by photos of movement? I believe it just needs to be somehow reset. The clock works just fine, swings fine, accyrate time just doesn't chime. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

Zach

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement is the metal part with all of the gears, inside the clock case. Some of them have chime shut-offs, some don't. If we can see the movement we can help more with the problem. Also a pic of the front of the clock, especially the dial. Also, did you have the weights off? The heaviest one needs to go on the right side as you look at the front.

5. zjaya28

zjaya28 Registered User

Jul 23, 2011
    Nice thanks a ton. I just figured it out with the lever. Maybe u can help me with another question. Do you know roughly what these clocks retail for? It is at least from 1959 because that is the shipping slip I found. Any ballpark thoughts? My phone wont allow me to attach pics with this blog format

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, but we're not allowed to discuss clock values. Check ebay for finished auctions of clocks similar to yours. That will tell you what they usually sell for. :)

7. zjaya28

zjaya28 Registered User

Jul 23, 2011
    As I look facing the clock do I put the heaviest weight on the far left, middle weighted weight in the middle, and the lightest weight on the far right?

I greatly appreciate all your help as I learn!

Thanks,

Zach

8. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #8 eskmill, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    Generally the heaviest weight drives the chiming musical train on the right. The chime musical train has the most moving parts and works the hardest. It needs the heavier weight.

The time train and the hour count trains generally use the lighter of the three weights because they don't do as much work or as often as the musical chime train.

Westminster chime clocks made since about 1915 have an automatic synchronizing feature that will after a couple of hours get the quarter, half and three-quarter and hour chime and the hour count back in sync with the hands. No "calibration" is necessary.

If your Hanson clock is in reasonably good condition, it should chime the music on each quarter hour with 4, 8, 12 and finally 16 notes at the hour followed by release of the hourly count strike train to beat out the current hour.

9. Randy Hirst

Randy Hirst Registered User

Aug 23, 2009
    Roadway Design Project Manager
    Rathdrum, idaho
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The heavy weight goes on your right as you face the clock (or on thr 3 oclock side, not on the clock's right. I mark mine 3, 12, and 9 so I dont get confused, then it doesn't matter which way you or the clock is facing:D

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the other two aren't the same weight, put the heavier in the middle. Heaviest at 3:00 - I like that for simplicity :)