My Great-great Grandfathers Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by tgot, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #1 tgot, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Hi all,

so this clock belonged to my dad's grandpa. my dad remembers it sitting on the mantle up at the farm. Through the years he inherited it and it sat until i decided to fiddle with it. It's been running great for the last 1/2 hour or so!

View attachment 356427

View attachment 356428

It would be great if anybody could tell me a little bit more about it! It has no markings except of the face it says "Made in USA". Thanks a bunch and I hope you can see the pictures...

It's pretty cool to have my great grandfathers, my grandfathers, and my dad's clocks in the house...now i need to buy one I guess! Take it easy

Travis

2. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #2 tgot, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    it also has a fast slow key at the top that you can't see in the photo...

3. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I think I can see the Sessions logo (S) on the pendulum bob. If this is original to the clock, then it would indicate a Sessions product.

Others with access to the reference books will surely know more.

JTD

4. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    mornin!

thanks for the input! I did a quick google search of the name sessions and i found an image of the exact clock for sale as a sessions. the dealer says early 1900's on the website, but it would be great if one of the super knowledgeable people with a catalogue could narrow that down. or point me in the direction of an online catalogue! I am pretty sure that everything is original to the clock but i can't be positive. the bob is the same cast iron as the post that the chime is mounted on...they look identical so that is what i am basing that off of. also found a repro key of a sessions that is also identical to the key i have. i did see some pics of keys with the name engraved on it but mine does not have that :(

anyways, thanks for giving me a maker at least, that get me started! have a great day!

- travis

p.s.- it's still running this morning and its right on time!!

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The movement is definitely a Sessions, and there actually seem to be three different clocks that fit this general case style - well, maybe five.

The first was one with multiple personality disorder: in 1914, it was the No. 1928; in 1918, it was the Harding; and in 1923, it was the No. 8291. That counts for my saying "maybe five."

The second is the Biltmore, from about 1918.

The third was the Tioga, ca. 1923.

The dates above come from Tran Duy Ly's book on Sessions clocks (arlingtonbooks.com) and reflect catalogue illustrations, not always a perfect basis for identification.

Just based on those illustrations, I would suggest that this one might be the first I mentioned, whatever it was called at the time it was first acquired by your great-grandfather. But I am not completely sure. Certain case details more closely match the illustration of that clock than they do the illustrations of the other clocks, but case details can change over the years, however slightly. The catalogue description of the first (or first three) does not mention a half-hour strike on a bell , which yours has. It had a half-strike on a cathedral gong. The only one that mentions a bell strike on the half-hour is the Biltmore, but the illustration for that one shows round button-like wooden feet, whereas yours has squarish metal feet. And, of course, though one year a model might have a half-hour strike on the gong, a later version of the same model might have the bell strike.

Without a label, I'm just taking wild swings and making a WAG. Is the sash on yours missing the glass?

6. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    hi steven,

that is awesome, thank you! i will look more into those names and see what i can find! unfortunately there is no labeling so i have no real details. and when i took out the movement to clean it i found no marking or engravings anywhere on the metal...

the feet are actually wood. they are square, but just painted and very wobbly. and yes, it does have a bell strike for the half, which seemed crazy but now i kind of like the sound! what is the sash? the glass door on the front is all there, is that what you meant? sorry, i really know nothing of clocks. anyway, you guys are the best! it is amazing that a thing so complicated can start right up and work after almost 100 years...

-travis

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    So, the feet are wood. Very good to know. Same difference as to the shape, however. Yes, by sash I meant the door. I just was unsure the glass was there.

8. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    haha, thanks for the education! sash = door :)
    yes, terrible iphone pic that you can't see it, i guess that also means i did a good job of cleaning! the thought also occured to me that maybe the feet were added or modified later? just because the whole thing is very sound except for those feet, and the paint is somewhat different looking. but i have no way of knowing and i don't really do a lot with antiques so i can't tell if it looks right or not. the other thing i noticed since going though pics of a lot of similar clocks is that the door on ours is square cut, and all of the photos from similar period sessions have an arched top to the access door. small difference but thought i would mention it. there appears to be no hinges ever mounted on the back, and the door appears to be original but again, i have no way to verify that.

thanks again!

9. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    In re the hinges. I have a Sessions clock whose back is held on by a metal tab at the top of the back. But I also have one whose back is attached by hinges. Can't speak to yours without pictures. and even then . . . .

10. tgot

tgot Registered User

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    hi again Steven,

mine also has a tab at the top and bottom of the panel. it fits perfectly and has a small round button knob near the top of the door. i carefully inspected all around the opening to see if i could find old screw holes where hinges might have been but the wood is perfectly undisturbed so i am fairly confident this is the original panel and set up. thank you again, i guess i can deal with a range of a few years for the d.o.m.

have a great one!

travis

11. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had previously posted that the Tioga had carved scrolls on the from but it got lost in the system crash. Maybe a repost will fix it.

Eric

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I remember the post, Eric, and yes, it did get lost in the great crash if 2017.