My grandfather's staking set found

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I was tidying the garage today in anticipation of my classic car (Convertible Morris Minor) going off for repairs. Whilst in the garage I found a completely rotten and mouse eaten suitcase with some of my grandfather's tools (he was a watchmaker). Amongst other things (that I have not had time to fully investigate) I found his staking set made by Star (Swiss) and a tobacco tin full of stakes and a few stumps.

It looks awful at the moment but it is currently having a bath in Evaporust and it looks very promising that the tools will be useable again. I do not have a staking set and want one so this is a lovely surprise!

IMG_9123.jpeg IMG_9124.jpeg

Last edited:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Stage one is completed. Evaporust did a good job. Rinsed and now drying thoroughly in the fan oven. I’m not sure I will be able to return the stakes to a high state of polish. After drying I will see what metal polish will do and then ultrasonic cleaning in waterless watch cleaning liquid to shake out any debris from the hollow stakes and remove polish residue.

F3F8EBB6-FE22-4248-8912-734C5E162A55.jpeg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That is very special - rescuing your grandfather's tools! I've been fortunate to inherit some of my grandfather's tools (he was a cabinetmaker), and not only are they of a quality not commonly seen in tools today, it feels very special using them.

You might try car polish when it comes time to shine them up... Inexpensive and easy to find.

Morris Minor convertible, eh? Nice!

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
When I come upon rusted stakes, I will chuck them up in my Makita drill and then while spinning, grip the stake with 1000 grit sandpaper. Go up and down the stake. Success in every case.

Reactions: Dave T

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
That is very special - rescuing your grandfather's tools! I've been fortunate to inherit some of my grandfather's tools (he was a cabinetmaker), and not only are they of a quality not commonly seen in tools today, it feels very special using them.

You might try car polish when it comes time to shine them up... Inexpensive and easy to find.

Morris Minor convertible, eh? Nice!
Thank you. I have had the car since I was 17 but she has not run in decades. She is more or less ready to run but needs a few things doing that I do not have the space to do.

IMG_9121.jpeg IMG_9119.jpeg

Last edited:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
When I come upon rusted stakes, I will chuck them up in my Makita drill and then while spinning, grip the stake with 1000 grit sandpaper. Go up and down the stake. Success in every case.
Marvellous tip and good news. I will do exactly what you suggest.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Marvellous tip and good news. I will do exactly what you suggest.
I use the same technique, but use maroon Scotchbrite. Again, excellent results.

Bravo on the Morris! Looking forward to seeing pictures as the refresh takes place. Hint: start with the brakes! It's easier to make it go than it is to make it stop. And when the hydraulics are overhauled, please consider using DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid. You'll never have to worry about rot or rust again.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I use the same technique, but use maroon Scotchbrite. Again, excellent results.

Bravo on the Morris! Looking forward to seeing pictures as the refresh takes place. Hint: start with the brakes! It's easier to make it go than it is to make it stop. And when the hydraulics are overhauled, please consider using DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid. You'll never have to worry about rot or rust again.
Absolutely. I have renewed the entire braking system except for the master cylinder which by virtue of its location (inside a box section under the drivers footwell) and the torsion bar being in the way of the bolt heads is a nasty job. Especially nasty because it had a persistent oil leak (crankshaft rear oil seal, notorious on the BMC A-series engine) which means it is horrible underneath but well protected from rust! The master cylinder will be replaced and definitely DOT5 from now on. It is the hygroscopic nature of ordinary brake fluid that completely seized every cylinder in the first place. I also rebuilt 2x SU electric fuel pumps (the original and a spare) and the carburettor and float chamber as well as radiator repairs, new hoses, ignition coil, HT leads, distributor cap, electrics etc etc. It would run if the fuel tank wasn't full of rubbish and the hard fuel line totally blocked. It will be moved with just a functioning handbrake on Thursday.......

The boot of the car had not been touched at all since I was 23. A time capsule of my life at the time. Untipped Camel cigarette packets, Coke cans, lots of Morris parts, a copy of "The ECG Made Easy", a stainless steel daylight film developing tank, floppy disks.......

IMG_9114.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I do similarly using a drill but I also do a run with scotch brite. The essential thing is that thego smoothly but snug in the frame.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Thank you. I have had the car since I was 17 but she has not run in decades. She is more or less ready to run but needs a few things doing that I do not have the space to do.
Owned one many years ago. A fun car for certain. Make certain you keep the fuel pressure to spec or a burnt piston will soon follow.

IMG_3048.jpg

Reactions: PatH

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Owned one many years ago. A fun car for certain. Make certain you keep the fuel pressure to spec or a burnt piston will soon follow.

View attachment 723113
Very nice! Yes the SU electric fuel pump can be temperamental but that is usually down to lack of maintenance. It's quite fun to overhaul. I like electromechanical stuff.

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Yep, you always know where you stand with an SU fuel pump. Noisy = good. Quiet = very bad - total silence from the engine room will shortly follow.

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
Finding your Grandfather's tools is really cool. I am the sentimental type. That's just a real treasure for me.

I found an old double barrel 12ga at a gun show once. I was shocked at the low price. Granted, it was a low end one and would not have been expensive when new, but still... I asked the guy a couple of questions about it and he said "I really don't know. I just bought it this morning from a guy. It was his Grandfather's" I couldn't help but think "What kind of guy would sell his Grandfather's shotgun? I don't know, but it's mine now and I promise you I give it the respect it deserves. It obviously means more to me than it did to him.

• Love
Reactions: RL and svenedin

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Xavier my Morris Minor is coming back tomorrow morning! Fully mechanically excellent apparently. Still a bit rusty but that's phase 2. Cosmetics after mechanicals. What took the car off the road in 1997 was a broken tooth of a gear in the gearbox. Probably a stress crack that then caused the tooth to fail at speed. The terrible wobble so produced then caused various bearings to fail in short order. Anyway, it was not the original gearbox (I have all the numbers of the original parts) so I accepted an exchange gearbox. A lot of other things done besides but MOT'd (Ministry of Transport Test) and roadworthy. An MOT is not required for a car of this age but I did it anyway.

I rebuilt loads of things that appeal to my clock and watchmaking hobby. SU fuel pump, SU carburettor and lots of smaller things. Gearboxes I cannot do! That's like a turret clock.

Stephen

Reactions: Jerry Treiman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent