My Grandfather Clock, a couple of questions.

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
This is my grandfather clock. A brief history. Bought the works (Urgos) and face separately in 1968. Built the case between 1970- 2004 (not in a big hurry) Put the movement in the case about 1992 and it has run since then, about 30 years. I have "cleaned" and oiled it a few times, but nothing like a real overhaul. Question 1: I have been paying attention to the comments on this board that seem to say that "modern GF movements" are so poor that they should be replaced rather than repaired. Should I expect that my movement is nearing the end of its' life?
Question 2: I just returned from a two week trip and upon restarting my clocks the GF stopped after a couple minutes. It was way out of beat. I reset the beat and it is happy now. The beat regulator is not easily rotated so this did not make any sense. Any thoughts on what happened?

DSCF2768.JPG DSCF2770.JPG DSCF2772.JPG

Reactions: Mike Mall

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think your movement was made before the introduction of plated pivots, and is probably repairable. It's not uncommon for a clock to go out of beat if it's stopped. Whether it happens when it stops or when it is restarted is a toss up.

Reactions: PatH

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The UW03 is a repairable movement, especially the ones from the 1960s. They do have a few 'weak points'. That is: wear at the extended pivot on the 2nd wheel (T2F) this will cause intermittent stoppage. And, wear at the escape wheel pivots, this will cause a weak pendulum swing (should be around 5 inches) and eventual stoppage.

Your clock is way past due ... and probably needs a full service with the necessary bushing work. Sometimes the escapement can be adjusted to give you a few more years run time but adjustment doesn't really address the wear problem. Willie X

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
I don't think you should allow pendulum clocks to run down and stop if it's at all avoidable. The inertia in the pendulum can do a lot of damage if the escape wheel stops in the wrong place - bent teeth are possible. If you know you will be away longer than the rewind period, then stop the clock before you leave.

Reactions: Willie X

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Very nice job on the case. And it only took you 34 years. Very nice. Danny
1660683078913.png

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping that the movement was old enough to be fixable. It has never given me any grief. The only mistake I made in buying the movement and face was that the triple chime lever sticks into the moving moon dial. I didn't know anything about GF movements in 1968 so when I got around to installing the movement I had to bend the triple chime lever out of the way. I can still change the tune by removing the hood. Best thing I did was make the hood just slide forward and off. I guess I better set some time aside for an overhaul this winter. Thanks again.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
So, a 30 year run time? That's not to bad, I was thinking 54 year run time. I would still do the take apart cleaning sooner rather than later. Willie X

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
Actually, I put the movement in the case in 1992. I did not finish the hood until my son reminded me how old I was and he did not want to inherit an unfinished clock. Not too subtle but it got the job done, I finished the hood about 2005. I didn't want the case to look like a "kit". You are right Willie, it spent the first 24 years in the box so it is still just a puppy.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Reactions: Bernhard J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member