Help MY FRENCH MANTEL CLOCK RUNS ABSOLUTELY FINE WITHOUT A PENDULUM, BUT STOPS WITHIN COUPLE OF MINUTES

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Siddharth, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:39 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Siddharth

Siddharth Registered User

Jul 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear All,

I am faced with a very common problem. iahve a lovely French mantel clock which used to run fine until recently. when I run the clock without the pendulum it runs absolutely fine without any problems, as soon as I attach the pendulum the clocks stops running with few minutes. just as an exercise I did remove the weight from the pendulum and with only the rod was put back onto the clock. to my surprise the clock runs just fine without the weight. this s not the original weight of the clock, but used to run just fine. please do let me know if there is anyway of solving the problem.

thank you very much in advance

2. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    Is it in beat? Has it been cleaned and lubricated? Is it level front to back? Is suspension spring broken?

3. Siddharth

Jul 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear Ed

Thank you for your response. yes it is in beat without the pendulum, I did get it out of the case and check the levels, the levels are all fine. the spring is not broken, it hasn't been cleaned for a while now.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like it is time to service it again.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most clocks will run without the pendulum in place even if they are badly worn and won't run with the pendulum. Your symptoms are common to a clock that is having power problems. Especially is that true if it was running fine, and started stopping occasionally .... then finally stopped altogether. It is a problem that will require disassembling the movement, cleaning it, adding bushings to compensate for wear, and putting it back together. If you want to tackle it yourself, we can help. Otherwise, you will likely be looking for a local repairman who can do the work for you.

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You cannot set the beat with the clock running without the pendulum being attached. Round French clocks are typically mounted in the case using two straps that clamp the movement between the front and back of the case. Sometimes the movement will slip during winding if the straps are not tight enough, causing it to be out of beat. I don't understand what you mean that the levels are all correct. The clock can be level but still be out of beat. Try raising one side of the case a little and then the other side and see if it ticks more evenly when slightly tilted. If so, it is out of beat. If it is in beat and won't run then I agree with others, it is time for it to be disassembled, cleaned, and inspected.

RC

NEW65 and roughbarked like this.
  7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Siddharth,

The following thread, regarding French strap movements, may be of assistance:

French Bracket Clock

Perhaps some pictures of the clock and the movement would be helpful.

Regards.

roughbarked likes this.
  8. Siddharth

Jul 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear Ed,

I was able to resolve the problem by removing and readjusting ESCAPEMENT.

thank you so much for all the help

PatH likes this.
  9. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, was the verge set too low to the escape wheel?
    (bottoming out) Or, maybe just a beat issue?

10. Siddharth

Jul 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm guessing more like a beat issue
    Thank you