My Free Pendulum Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by jono, Feb 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. jono

jono Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
    Hello

I was given some really good advice on the electric forum for creating my driver circuit, which I did not follow!!! (but it was very gratefully received) The end result was that I used an Arduino board to control the clock and created my own optical switch and control code, now the clock works fine. I need some ideas on how to construct the pendulum. The clock shown below will be mounted on clear acrylic backing and all the gears are projected forward with no front plate. I now am thinking about the pendulum and what materials I should make it out of. Any help will be appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SL4hCe7LQ

Warmest

Jonathan

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jonathan,
    I love your clock and the way you have blended some classic clock concepts with modern technology. The drive motor gives you plenty of drive power so you can get as creative with the design as you like. The hands have an especially unique design that could be reflected in the pendulum.

The front cover of the January/February Bulletin features a clock by Phil Abernethy. He has built some amazing sculptural clocks. Take a look at this one on Youtube. Although he is using a compound pendulum for a slower beat, the pendulum design could be adapted slightly to match the hands of your clock. Just a thought to get the brain cells firing.
    Allan

3. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    There was another post with reference to a place selling
    quartz tubing. 4 feet for about $19.
    That would make fine rod.
    Tinker Dwight

4. jono

jono Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
    Tinker, thank you I think that is a splendid idea, I will look for some quartz rod, Allan links are to amazing clocks, I really liked the glass balls as weights for the pendulum. I will keep on thinking through the design for the pendulum, I must admit, this is tremendous fun

Jonathan