My First Wood Works Clock! Jeromes & Darrow 30-hr Column and Splat

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by melikesclocks, Mar 16, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. melikesclocks

melikesclocks Registered User

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi folks. I wanted to share my first wood works clock. I've been frequenting the forum for a couple of years now and have 20+ clocks, but none of them are WW and I've been wanting one for a while. I found this for a decent price and took a chance on it. All I have now is this picture, but the stenciling and overall look just "got" me. The description says it's a 30-hour and 35 inches tall. I think there is a plain/or stencilled border around the mirror. I've seen other clocks that have a stencilled portion at the bottom of the mirror. I have no clue as to the operational condition of the movement. Hopefully I haven't bought a pig in a poke, but the unknown is oddly attractive to me. I will update the post with more pictures when I get the clock, but comments welcome in the meantime!

Eric

Attached Files:

2. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks very nice from here, congrats

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking clock. I'm sure you will enjoy having a wooden works clock. They usually are great time keepers and you don't even need to them except in a couple of places. I would love to see what it looks like inside.

RC

4. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm anxious too. I know it goes against normal buying behavior, but I like it nonetheless. I will certainly post more pictures when I'm able. I do like that these clocks keep good time and are repairable.

5. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I buy something the most important thing is that I like it - perfectly nomal (or maybe we are both nuts). Above, I ment to say you don't need to OIL them except where there is a brass pivot hole for the escape wheel and the pallets (unless oc course someone has installed brass bushings).

RC

6. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RC,
    Many Jeromes & Darrow movements were originally brass bushed, so the presence of bushings should not be assumed to be a later addition.
    Mike

7. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is quite correct. I should have been more clear that "someone" includes the original maker.

RC

8. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm anxious to see what's under that dial too!

9. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I finally have the clock in my possession. After untangling the lines on the drums, the clock is ticking and striking. The door glass is wavy and puttied in. The mirror definitely looks period. I need to get a new cover for the back of the movement, zinc I suppose? I'm really digging the size of the face on this clock and the clear, loud bell strike. Movement Closeup.JPG back of movement.JPG Dial.JPG Door Lock.JPG Door Open.JPG Front.JPG Inside Case.JPG keyhole.JPG Movement.JPG The pieces of missing veneer above the face were actually included with the clock, so I was able to reglue them. There are no holes on the tops of the chimneys, so I guess no finials originally. Original pendulum and weights, I'm happy. :)

There is definitely traces of graphite in the bushings. I oiled the pallets and EW pivots.

I've also included a picture of the lock. Any idea what the key would look like for this? I assume it's ivory for the escutcheon?

10. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After some more research I determined that my movement typs is 5.112 according to the Snowden bulletin article. I also figured out the lock takes a "Terry" style key, but I'm wondering about the size, specifically the distance between the post and the hole the peg from the key fits into. I see there are replacement keys are available, but not sure they'd fit the aforementioned distance.

Eric

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Congrats on your first wood movement clock.

I just have to comment how wonderful your excitement and enthusiasm are surrounding your acquisition. Nice piece of Americana...and nice to see on the MB for a change.

Let this be the start of a fun and rewarding adventure of discovery that can and hopefully will last a life time....and please permit us interested folks partake with you.

RM

12. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
  13. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have closed the thread in the new acquisitions forum and recommend continuing here. RM's link should suffice for viewing comments not posted here as well.

14. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for letting me know about the feet. Just need to get a key and it'll be complete. I'm having an intermittent problem with the weight cord binding on the time side drum. Would new cord or some kind of lubricant on the cord work?

Thanks,

Eric

15. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric,
    Most any of the replacement keys should work. You might have to enlarge the hole in the key to fit the post. If you are lucky, checking boxes of assorted keys in antique shops may turn up an original. The quality of most repro keys is adequate at best.

The cords should need no lubrication. Exactly how is it binding? In your photos it looks like the diameter of the cord may be a little on the large side. Is the cord climbing off the end of the drum and wrapping around the arbor?

It sounds like your wood works affliction is fairly advanced, if you haven’t joined the Cog Counter Chapter then I would strongly encourage you to do so.
    Link.
    http://cogcounters.org/

16. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I first got the clock, I was having a power loss issue. I took the movement out and the cord was criss-crossing and overlapping on the drum. I unwound the cord completely and ran the clock several times winding the weights about halfway up. This time I decided to wind them fully up. It stopped, I took the weight off, and gave it some slack, then rehung the weight and it's running again.

I will order one of the repro keys for now, but will definitely be on the lookout for an original.

I've always wanted a WW pillar and scroll and a transitional clock, that's my next trophy. Thanks for the info on Cog Counters.

Eric