My first Pocket Watch

Mycosanitea

Jul 11, 2010
58.jpg Hello. I am new to collecting time pieces, and I am about to purchase my first antique pocket watch. The one that I found that I like is (according to the seller) ca. 1860 - 1880 Swiss made, and has "LYON" on the solid brass dial. I can't find any information about a watchmaker called LYON, and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this watch or watchmaker. Any information is helpfull. Here are more pics. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the URL into the address bar. Thanks.

http://media.snimka.bg/4626/015506393.jpg
http://media.snimka.bg/4626/015506412.jpg
http://media.snimka.bg/4626/015506413.jpg
http://media.snimka.bg/4626/015506416.jpg
http://media.snimka.bg/4626/015506425.jpg 59.jpg

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
It is unfortunate that the only reply you have had to your post is as non-sensical as the above post! If the author of this post would care to get back to us with a definition that makes sense, it would be appreciated.

I am certain that many have kind of hung back from replying to your post because there really isn't much that can be said about this watch. One comment that I CAN make that might be meaningful is that the case is stamped quaranteed for 5 years. That means guaranteed against wear through for five years. I have never seen a case with such a low wear through rating. The watch is typical of a lot of Swiss watches from around the era of this one. There is absolutely nothing about it that can be positively identified, except for the case which was NOT made by the same maker as the movement. You pictures don't show enough detail to confirm this, but I suspect it is a cylinder escapement, and may only have one or two jewels. To be kind, I think that before you buy any more watches, you should try to learn more about what is available out there in the market place. When this watch was produced, it appears to me as though it was aimed at the demand for an (I get into trouble when I use the word "cheap") "inexpensive" watch. There are many niches in the collecting of watches, and watches like this have a niche, I suppose, but others who are interested in such watches will be very hard to find. If you bought it, I hope you didn't open the exchequer to do it! Sorry the news is late, and not very encouraging.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Doug - I guess you didn't notice that the post above yours was from someone in Poland. A quick cut and paste to an online translator reveals that Spam01 offered the compliment "fine specimen".

I see a lower-grade cylinder escapement movement, but with an uncommon configuration and interesting dial.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Before I commented on that, I checked the previous posts of spam 01 to find he does have some command of the English language. The post doesn't make any sense to a non-Polish speaker, and I thought I had politely asked for a definition.

Mycosanitea

Jul 11, 2010
I appreciate the feedback. I spent $280 on this watch, although I don't think it's worth that much. But I bought it because it suits me. I am dissappointed to find that the movement and case aren't made by the same manufacturer. As far as being "cheap", I don't really mind. I don't wear gold or silver. I wear brass and steel. A gold watch that you may consider more valuable has no value to me (except monetary value). This watch, I find to be very aesthetically pleasing. It was the cast brass dial that attracted me to it. I have looked around and have been unable to find another watch for under about $1000 that has as unique or interesting of a dial as this one. If anybody has any information about the maker or history, I would be interested to learn. Thank you again for the info.

dshumans

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2009
Having a case and movement made by different manufacturers does not mean that it isn't original. Many, if not most, watches from around 1860 to 1890, which I believe this watch is, were sold as "ebauches" (just movements only) by Swiss manufacturers for other companies to put in cases to seel to the public. The hands look like they may not be original because of the way the minute hand is reamed out to fit a larger keywind cwnter staff, but they look OK on this watch.

Doug

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I did not understand the reply to this watch, and i know this poster does communicate well in English.I did not know what to add to this posting that would help the poster.

Mycosanitea

Jul 11, 2010
Veritas; Thank you for noticing my communication skills. If you noticed, the second to last line says exactly what kind of replies I am looking for. Here it is again. "If anybody has any information about the maker or history, I would be interested to learn." Any ideas about how I could improve the watch as far as function and aesthetics would be helpfull. I would also be interested to know the approximate value of the watch, although it probably holds more value to me than it would in an auction or retail store. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Thanks again.

-Mycosanitea

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
On top of main page, we cannot discuss values here.Try past sales on Ebay or perhaps past auctions at auction houses.You can also pm other collectors here and ask privately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller