My first metal dial cleaning

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by f.webster, Oct 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you know me...I am new to watches. This is my first attempt at metal dial cleaning.

OK.. here is how it went.

I used a mild hand soap in water that I tried to keep around 150 degrees. After the dial soaked for 4 or 5 minutes, I removed it from the water and soap and gently rubbed it with a clean q-tip. Then I reheated the water and returned the dial to soak. After four ...maybe five soak and rub rotations this is what it looks like... before and after. I am pleased with my first dial cleaning. Before and after...

Dial Clean up.jpg

ralph1, viclip and Dave T like this.
  2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    very nice work.

3. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Friend,that style is tougher than most painted dials I have come across. Nice job though,congrats.
    -Just a warning,OK?
    I say your method is correct...but many painted dials,if washed a second time,may appear better-but on very close inspection will have a minuscule "peppering" effect. Be very wary if you note that! The "pepper" is lack of any paint. If you have doubts,a third washing will confirm it.