1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HowardHorology

HowardHorology Registered User

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Collector
    East Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    #1 HowardHorology, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Dear fellow members,
    This is my first "real" clock purchase for I am not counting all the battery powered clocks and cheap watches. Unfortunately it has come late in life. I have always admired the antique English bracket clocks, but found this reproduction more in line with my budget. What was your first clock? I would love to know as well as welcome both your criticism and advice. I certainly have learned a lot from you all. Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,

Howard

About the clock:

Matthias Bäuerle (M.B.) burr walnut Georgian style bracket clock, Germany, c. 1900. Burred, locking walnut case with domed top, ormolu-mounted with central urn finial ( four corner finials and pillaster missing, maybe more), fabric-backed, pierced walnut carving on side sound frets, raised on a stepped molded base with gilt brass paw feet. Has a composite arched brass dial with matted center, silvered Roman numeral chapter ring, applied spandrels and subsidiary fast/slow dial in the arch, eight-day time, grand sonnerie movement regulated by a pendulum. Clock measures 23" high x 13" wide x 10" in depth. Reportedly it keeps.good time, but is more of a project really as some ormolu decoration is missing and the the clock strike is reportedly not synchronized.

PatH likes this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow that is a really nice clock. I hope you get the problems sorted out.

HowardHorology likes this.
  3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Are you sure this is a Bäuerle clock? I have never seen this mark on a Bäuerle movement. Others may know better.

JTD

4. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Collector
    East Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Yes, maybe you are correct. There has been some discussion around this mystery mark with some attributing it to a retailer, Max Busse, in Berlin. But it seems the consensus was that Bäuerle was actually more of a clock maker for many retailers not the other way around.
    Makers mark

5. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Collector
    East Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much.

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nice clock! It looks like a quarter-striking ting-tang clock (strikes both gongs once at the first quarter, twice at the second quarter, thrice at the third quarter, then count the hour on one gong at the top of the hour).

Unless you know when it last was serviced (and that wasn't too long ago), you should consider having it serviced by someone who knows what he/she is doing, or you risk damaging the movement by running it. These are not difficult to work on, so an overhaul shouldn't be too expensive.

Mark

7. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Collector
    East Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    #7 HowardHorology, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks Mark. I bet you are right. The seller said, "The clocks ting tangs on the quarter hour and strikes on the hour. Currently the clock strike is not synchronized and will need some attention." My options for repair are limited in rural East Tn. Do you think a regular watch/clock repair shop could do this?

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If it strikes the wrong number of bongs on the hour, then that can (usually) be very easily corrected. If, for instance, it strikes 9 when the clock says 7, just turn the hour hand forwards to point at 9. The hour hand is just a friction fit and will turn forwards or backwards.

However, if there is some other problem, maybe you could explain.

JTD

124Spider and HowardHorology like this.
  9. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User
    NAWCC Member

#9 124Spider, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    I'm not a professional, just a guy who loves clocks and has a house full of them, so it has been worth my while to learn how to fix them. I have overhauled three ting-tang clocks (including two German ones very similar to yours), and don't find them to be difficult to work on. If someone claims to be a clock repair expert, he/she certainly should have no trouble with this beautiful clock.

Mark

10. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A beautiful clock. I do believe this is a Mathias Bauerle product. The company did come out with quite a few different stamps for their movements.

11. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Collector
    East Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Thanks everyone for your comments and helpful suggestions. The clock arrived today and is running just now. Will have to listen to hear about the chimes. The immediately started when I set the pendulum. Unfortunately there was some damage from transit from CO. I guess that is what we all fear between novice packagers and postal handlers. Sent eBay seller a video on how to pack a clock and it seems he tried but the little piece of scotch tape came loose and that square loggerhead or hammer that is the base for the chimes came crashing through the side, damaging the wood carving. Also the bronze decoration broke off. Maybe I can accept this much chaos and inperfection. Bronze might be placed back on with putty or something. Woodwork needs more patience and care. It is a gorgeous clock and I think I got a good deal so I am happy. It will be great to have a real clock. I may have to call on you guys again. Thanks so much!

Howard 20200119_184002.jpg 20200119_181310.jpg 20200119_181115.jpg

12. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a bummer! Shipping shows no discretion to both expensive and inexpensive clocks alike. Did the entire chime block assembly fly through the side of the clock? It might be hard to find another insert that matches the other one - is the pieces still there for the insert? Maybe you could glue it back up.